or Connect

Posts by Common Man

Is the insurgency getting a little desparate?
If this seed issue is true, it is very disturbing. I am not sure that I understand the issue, however. How can there be patents on seeds that have been only in family hands? I need to read more about this. I know that seed companies have searched plant populations in developing countries in search of insect, drought and disease resistance genes and this practice has been very controversial. In these cases they are in effect robbing traits bred into the stocks by the...
Anything the Iraqi people get out of this is a bi-product of the plan, agreed. The purpose of this war was to secure a potentially dangerous country in an economically and strategically important region. The basis for this will be questioned for decades. This goal is not mutually exclusive with something good for the Iraqis in the long run. In fact, it gives them a lot of opportunity they would not have had otherwise. Seg, how many times do you need to make this...
I think I predicted this on these boards a long time ago. If Iraq settles down, establishes a Gov and an economy, Bush will officially go down in history as a hero in Iraq. The statue will need a platoon of Marines to keep it in place, however.
This issue is heating up. Churchill will be speaking this week at Hamilton College and the College is under fire to cancel the talk (from Bill O' and others http://www.billoreilly.com/outragefu...37665418590961 . The College will also have a debate between Churchill and some of Hamilton's faculty Thursday . This guy has a right to talk, no matter how off base one may think he is. http://www.hamilton.edu/news/more_ne...ay.cfm?ID=9011
This is one of the most critical rights we have and one of least understood and most abused. I wonder if those polled are confused as to what our real 1st Amendment rights are?
Segovius said: These elections were not Bush's baby. He opposed the format and he opposed one-person one-vote for a long time. In fact he initially just wanted to install Chalabi without an election. Then he came up with the notorious 'Bremer plan' for government based on regional councils and when this raised the prospect of civil war and Sistani stepped in they backed down. Sistani issued a fatwa and started agitating for free elections and Bush opposed this...
segovius. First, I understand Bush and his agenda. I am not naive to hit. I see the need for give and take in Iraq at this point. Will the new Gov really be independent? Probably not. There will be an American hand in it for quite some time. However, is it worth it to the Iraqi people to sacrifice some of their autonomy to move forward with their lives? What have they gained from all of this? 1. SH is out 2. SH's sons are not waiting in the wings to...
"Heavy coalition casualties ASAP could serve to prevent the next war. " Gon I disagree. I think that would only fuel the fire of the American war machine. The anti-war brigage keeps insiting that "America does not have the stomach for American casualties. As soon as the body bags start coming back Americans will loose the will for war". I don't think that this is true. 911 seeded a a desire in this natiion to clean house in the middle east and that desire...
groverat, for your point 2 to occur, we have to accept that the Bush followers will take credit. They will say what they will say as they always have. We don't have to belive them. This thread comes from a conversation I had with a few people last night who basically told me that they want Iraq to go into massive civil war so that "people will see how wrong Bush is". That makes no sense to me.