or Connect

Posts by Common Man

Regardless of the outcome of this election, the pro-Bush people will call it a success and the anti-Bush people will call it a failure. There is no way around that. I am very torn as to what the majority of Iraqi people want. My best guess is they: 1. Want security 2. Want the foreign troops out 3. Want a Gov, and an economy and jobs and the best lives that they can carve out. I doubt that the average Iraqi wants to spend the rest of his or her life out...
I think that there is a sector of people who would rather see complete civil war in Iraq than see Bush get over. These people enjoy the daily reports of violance, as it feeds their hate for Bush and all he stands for. They know that if Iraq develops a stable gov and an economy, Bush will go down in history as a determined visionary and not as a clueless mad man. Are you one of these people?
This guy has a right to say this stuff if he wants to. He Should not be fired. Part of being a scholar is stirring up discussion and not parroting the popular line.
This guy is too far out for me. Yes, the US has done alot of questionable things, but wow. ( I have not seen the full manuscript yet.) "As for those in the World Trade Center," the essay said, "well, really, let's get a grip here, shall we? True enough, they were civilians of a sort. But innocent? Gimme a break." Ward Churchill Prof CU http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...501617,00.html
Thats ok. It is just sad to hear.
I'm not attacking them. I expect them to say what they say.
One of my freinds dad works for a software company in Houston that bans smoking on and off of company property. You sign that you will not smoke when you take a job.
What really amazes me is that America as a whole accepts these deaths. Do people really believe that this is for some purpose or do they tell themselves that for consolation? I am so tired of hearing the parants and spouses of the dead say things like "he died protecting our freedom" I'm sorry, they died for nothing. I see you have relocated segovius. I bet Spain is nice.
It's interesting how little interest there is here in 36 dead Americans. How many replies would there be to this thread had it been about an American giving an Iraqi a black eye? Regardelss of the situation, the elections must go on. The symbolic effect of not having the elections would be a disaster more damaging than anything that will happen during the elections. The only chance for Iraq now is to establish a political system and an economy.
Well done Anders! I like it. In truth, I am alive and well. I spent 10 days over Christmas with my girl friend in her home town and it made me think about a lot of things. I saw things I never imagined could exist. I saw the effects of 40 years of civil war on a country. I saw hungy people and street people like nothing I have ever seen. I experienced people who hated me for being a white American and people who hated her for her Indian heritage. I learned a lot.