or Connect

Posts by hobBIT

Hmmm, not quite getting this. So it comes down to a US Patent Office Blunder? Issuing the same patent to two different companies? Does this happen often? And in the end who is to blame? Isn't it the Patent Office's job to avoid this? Can you sue the US Patent Office?
It's much easier than that. Switch off the found phone immediately. Then go deep under ground. 2nd or 3rd basement, underground parking lot. I bet there is no phone signal there. Switch phone back on and play as much as you like - with no fear of a remote wipe.
In an ideal world Apple should have arranged an agreement with Mike Matas and the team from Push Pop Press.Instead of (allegedly) forcing them to stop Push Pop Press interactive book production (and a resulting buyout by Facebook) they should have made the Push Pop Press team an integral part of Apple in charge of interactive textbooks.They could have been put in charge to help textbook publishers update their textbooks for the 21st century.Initially as a free service by...
Absolutely.Depends on a book's audience too.Like the review poster for the ABC book for kids, probably has a point that these should be interactive on every page. To support the fun, playful learning for kids.A history text book on the other hand might not need much.Yet that is also the challenge.I can imagine enlivening historic content by interactive maps of e.g. military advances over time, adding personal accounts (audio/video) of people involved, having 3D views of...
That's probably exactly what happened. But who is going to pay for this? Creating interactive content on every page, is very expensive. And I doubt school book publishers have the content already available in a form that could be used interactively 'as is'. Classic chicken and egg situation. Apple: Publishers, please updated your books with interactivity - to make books more interesting and sell more. Publishers: We don't even know how many people will use these new...
I use iDisk a lot. It allows me to build some simple HTML documents containing a few images and links to PDF files, movie clips etc. and I can upload all of them via the Finder. And those HTML pages are hosted for anyone to view on the web via a simple browser. It's really convenient. No need to sign up for any 3rd party web hosting. No need to use any clumsy web-based file-uploads or clumsy 3rd party FTP apps. It's all there in the Finder and works like any other...
Well said. Yet it seems that most people are OK with being sold. They could not care less. They'd rather be sold than buy into a 'closed' Apple ecosystem. Strange world...
It is too easy to say Apple's P/E ratio is low because of uncertainties due to the loss of Steve Jobs. As far as I can remember back, Apple always had an unusually low P/E. This is not a recent development. It's been like that before Jobs re-joined Apple. Here are my 2 cents as to why: P/Es are typically different for different industries. And average P/Es are best derived from comparing like companies. Now with Apple, analysts always had a hard time comparing it...
Being a multi-touch device I always wondered if iOS software could not be smartened up to understand where your thumb is touching the screen while holding it - and ignore those touches.It might be perfectly OK to obscure some small part of the screen while holding it. Certainly for reading text where many e-readers have a white border around the text anyway.And it's no big deal to move your hand a bit when you want to read what's below your thumb. That is how many people...
With you on this one. Not saying Cook lied and never went to see Jobs that day, also not suggesting that even if he went that they did not discuss business at all, but is it not more likely that Cook would paint the situation in a neutral light as to not alarm anyone? Maybe it was even at Jobs' own request to keep the circumstances secret until after his death. So even if all this happened, I cannot see Cook telling the CEO of Softbank 'Sorry, Steve just called and said...