or Connect

Posts by JeffDM

You don't seem to have to deal with the trolls much then. They see the number, skim it at best and move on, thinking their beliefs have been confirmed. So "If they read it..." is a contingency that you should know rarely happens.Your list of potential upsides to having this article at all is pretty thin compared to the down sides, especially compared to the aggravation of having to deal with the haters.
Yes, the detractors don't know what's going on, all said. They don't understand what the numbers really mean, assuming they have any meaning. I really question AI making a story of it at all when they don't bother to address what the numbers don't mean, even if they were correct. The article pointing out the "guestimators" quote is lamp shading the issue, in my opinion.
The AI writer or IHS? I'm pretty sure IHS is clear about what they're estimating in their report. Blog writers certainly aren't.
I'm pretty surprised to see the turn around in attitude on Isaacson's book. I don't remember seeing this amount of negativity about the book previously. At least it seems like the tide has turned there. I can't say I'm surprised about people being disgruntled about Sorkin's movie. I hadn't read an Apple news site in many months, if not a year, because I was getting tired of the filmmaking gossip, hanging off of every scrap of information, seemingly down to whoever was...
The source you gave isn't any better than TheWhiteFalcon's. Besides, you need a source for non-data? "Much" is such a vague number that it's meaningless, and pretty interesting that you got defensive about it. Macs are probably a decent share, though I don't think anyone other than Apple knows anything better than a rough estimate.
It's just a BOM. Yeah, it's not a lot of things, but a BOM means something pretty specific. I'm amused at how the article text is defensive about it, and yet gives no context in the form of a comparison to similar estimates of competing products.
I have iDefrag saying my Time Machine drive is inconsistent. I've done a repair on the disk in Disk Utility, and Drive Genius's Consistency Check in demo mode isn't finding it. Is there anything else I should try? If I paid for Drive Genius ($99), there's a couple more things it can try, but I wonder what good that will do if Consistency Check finds nothing. Maybe iDefrag is making it up or exaggerating, but I hate to write it off and find I left a real problem untended.
I have an AppleTV with active HBO Now subscription. I can't get to certain things, such as any of the first season of John Oliver's show or even the episode listing. It just shows me the spinning wheel of death. The second season comes up fine. I can let it spin for a minute and not show me the season info. I've pulled the power on the Apple TV, checked for updates. I don't know what else to do. My current workaround is to AirPlay stream HBO Now from my iPhone to the...
I'm guessing that HBO is more aggressive about limiting where their services stream because they own the content and the service. Why they care so much is anyone's guess, but they might have content sublicense contracts to protect. Netflix probably doesn't care so much, they just have to make it look like they do.
Isn't part of the problem sites like this that promote the guestimators and spread their "information"?