or Connect

Posts by wally626

Windshields use a similar technology using a thermal based method to compress the surface regions of the glass [edit]. Chemical methods work better and produce stronger glass but are much more expensive to apply. The basic technology is very old, we learned about it 35 years ago in Glass Science class and even made some. Breaking them is spectacular, the entire bar of glass goes to dust. I am sure Corning has improved the process to make things better than what we did 35...
The screen shown if the markers are 1mm, is 326 dpi, same as current screens. Scaled to 16:9 4.7-inch screen would be 751x1336 pixels. Of course 4.7 does not mean 4.700, so it could be 750 x 1340 or something else close. Or someone just shot a picture of a current screen and this has nothing to do with the new phones.
There are two separate trials. Apple lost the federal anti-trust case and is appealing that case. Most of the judgment there was for monitoring of Apples behavior. The (State Attorneys General) AsG sued as well and that is what is being settled. Apple said, fine we can skip a trial and we will pay X amount of money to the AsG and consumers. if we lose our appeal in the other case there is no chance to win this case anyway. They put in the big however, if the other case...
Probably looking at about $5K for the Sony with lens and recorder for 4K, at least that was an estimate from the guy who did the demo video. That might mean a body price of around $2000 depending on what lens he was thinking of. The $1700 price was leaked early but I think it has been pull back from. The HD from the A7s is also going to be very good, the guy who did the 4K video also did one in HD in very low light conditions at high ISO settings and it looked very good....
Sapphire is not normally capitalized being a gem name like diamond. It does have good UV transmission down to the UVB band, unlike borosilicate glass or most plastics which do not. Pure silica glass is better but Apple did not build a new silica plant. A health watch has some interest to me, but I know devices like Fitbit work better on the belt then the wrist as far as counting steps and that sort of thing. Heart monitoring, UV exposure that sort of thing would be better...
Not sure if Sapphire crystal, not glass, is a better face material than Gorilla Glass. GG has been refined over the years to improve its strength and longevity while in use as a face material. It is made in large qualities, the basic processes not not super complex, but I expect the details of applying the surface compression layer may be a bit detail oriented. Treating glass surfaces to be in compression is a very old technique, First seen in tempered windshields for cars...
Some furnace salesman got a nice bonus this Christmas. 
Let the activist fight it out. I am sure there are many that would like to see private cars outlawed, they can have a rumble with the ones wanting to get rid of bus service that allows people to not use their private cars for the daily commute. Does SF charge all the tourist buses for use of stops?
High end is a bit of hyperbole for these cameras, the Q10 is based on a Sony bridge camera, small sensor larger zoom range, the Q100 is based on the RX100 series which is a high end compact camera. It has a much bigger sensor than typical P&S and a price to match. The new cameras have some limited uses but I do not see them getting real popular. Just to slow to set up and too big for the use envisioned. Sony's Cyber-Shot division has come out with some good camera lately,...
In 2012 AT&T had total revenues of $127,434,000,000 and net profits of $7,264,000,000. So a net profit of about 6 percent. So not exactly gouging. We know the European plans are much cheaper than US plans. What drives the costs in the US so high? Are the companies just wasting money on gold plated faucets or are the cost of doing business, in wireless that much higher? The landline business accounts for about 30 percent of the profits, so it is not big sink of funds. I...