or Connect

Posts by G520incher

Hello, I'm at home less and less these days so I have decided to trade in my PowerMac G5 single 1.6 Ghz towards a new 15 inch Powerbook, and keep my 20 inch Cinema for when I AM at home. The PowerMac is stock except for the 1.5 GB Ram. 1.6 GHZ Proc., 800 MHZ Bus, Superdrive, 80 GB HD, 64 MB nVidia 5200 Ultra, and its running Tiger 10.4.2. I know I'll be taking a speed hit, but the 20% I might lose while rendering will easily be made up with the amount of added...
I'm also looking into a dual 2.7 G5 for my main render machine but have been waiting on it since the IBM 970 MP announcement. I'm waiting till the Paris Expo, and here's why: They might release dual core machines on that date, and if so then I have that option. If they don't release them then I buy the current top of the line, after having waited only a month. If they do release the dual cores but they are not optimized for my software or they are too costly,...
Does anyone here currently own both machines? Could you give me an idea of differences in speed between the two? Any idea where I could find some benchmarks on both? Thanks.
I won't be doing any kind of motion or animation work and I rarely exceed 20 layers on an image. I have definitely considered getting the 15 inch for the extra screen real estate but I spend a great deal of time on public transportation and I really want to keep it small and light. I do have the 20 inch Cinema for home use so I think I can handle the small screen on the go. That is something I actually need to test with some of my software. Luckily the programs I...
Ok, I know one is slower but by the specs can I expect it to be a huge amount slower? I have a PowerMac G5 single 1.6 Ghz and I'm thinking of trading it in towards a 12 inch Powerbook 1.5 Ghz because I want to become nearly completely mobile, except when I'm at home I can plug into my 20 inch Cinema Display. I've been waiting quite a while for a G5 Powerbook but I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing anything equivalent to that for at least another year. I want to go...
Hey, This weekend I am thinking of purchasing OSX Tiger. I currently run OSX 10.2.8 Jaguar on my 1.6 Ghz PowerMac G5 with 1.5 GB Ram and the 5200 Ultra video board. What kind of speed increases can I expect? Will I notice improved graphics performance? Will any speed increase affect the apps I currently use, especially in the graphic design area? (performance & rendering) Will it automatically take advantage of all my Ram or do I have to configure it in any...
Canada online store has all duals now.
In response to icfireball: 10.2.8 came with my G5 (single 1.6 Ghz, 1st gen.). When Panther came out I figured I'd wait for a few updates, make sure all the kinks were out, and then buy that but it just got put on the backburner too long. Then they announced Tiger and I was already considering purchasing a dualie so I waited for new PowerMacs......I'm considering the dual 2.3 at the moment, but I also would really like to go portable.....so currently I'm hoping for a G5...
Hi everyone, I read the post about the webcams for powerbooks but I have a G5 desktop running 10.2.8 and a 20 inch cinema. Can anyone suggest a cheap, good quality webcam for use with my system?? Also, are webcams on Macs compatible with yahoo messenger? I would assume since messenger is available for OSX but I don't know for sure. This will be my first experience with a webcam. If there are any canadians around, can you recommend a common store where I could get...
Hey all, Ignore my previous post. The head of the recording dept. of the store where I bought everything, just emailed me back and said that in fact they had an Oxygen 8 there that was hooked up through midi to their pro tools setup, and that the usb portion of it doesn't work. He came in this morning to find that it was gone and figured one of the sales guys sold it without knowing it was messed up. I'm the one he sold it to. They are giving me a brand new...