or Connect

Posts by patsu

Under the current framework perhaps. But the opposite side are saying the framework (and ITC's thinking) is flawed. The negotiation will work differently if the SEPs cannot be abused to impose import ban at this point.
If the companies are suing each other, then there may be clauses that the agreements may be terminated. In fact, there are usually termination clauses in agreements. It would be case by case.
As long as the SEPs are abused, I don't think Apple will agree to sign anything.ITC may want to think about their position, when and how to enforce so-called FRAND. At the moment, it looks like the Whitehouse and the supporting companies agree with Apple. If/when the import ban threat becomes ineffective, the negotiation may happen differently. I don't know what Samsung and Apple will do next. May be fight it out in the courts, may be settle. But it would be nice if ITC...
e.g., The principle that they won't abuse the SEPs.As for the agreements, companies update them from time to time based on the latest cost structure, business model, usage etc.Typically, new and renewing licensees will be subjected to the new terms. Old licensees stay put as long as the agreements remain valid (e.g., have not expired).It's a non-news.
As long as the principles are established and accepted, it is not uncommon for companies to update their licensing terms for new or renewing licensees. There is nothing to act on at this point though.
I used to think that it's just "window dressing", but after using the betas a few week, I can see where the useful improvements are. e.g., Control Center, AirDrop, the new Share button, cleaned up UI, updated apps. Now iOS6 looks and works somewhat dated compared to iOS7. However some take getting used to.It's not just eye candy.The layered and dynamic UI (including the new TextKit) is the most interesting concept to me so far. Other mobile UI works in a more flat...
As long as they don't abuse the SEPs, who cares how they manage the patents ? Last I heard they have also transferred some of these patents to themselves, but we have seen no action yet.At this point, before the abuse issues get settled, it is wise for Apple to not agree to anything yet. Otherwise, they will be bound by what they sign. The rest becomes rhetoric.
The administrator veto'ed the ban based on their stand on the SEP abuse. The rep simply layout their broad stroke position.Companies should not accept any terms based on SEP abuse before the fundamental principles are settled. Accept the terms would imply that the current SEP abuse is acceptable to the signing parties.The SEP abuse caused public concerns. That's why people are debating everywhere. And other companies are lining up to object to the ban.
Perhaps not as shocking as why Google, the open and do no evil company, doesn't argue against SEP abuse.I see Apple on open standards fora like W3C, ITU, IETF all the time. WebKit, HTML5, H.264, Bonjour, OpenCL, OpenGL, etc.EDIT: Heck, Apple even voted for and help vetted the Blu-ray specs even though they are not interested in rolling out Blu-ray products.
That's because you are running a beta. And the apps are not ported over yet. ^_^