or Connect

Posts by afrodri

It should be pointed out that Micron is not the only one making LPDDR4, in fact, the presentation that Mr. Margolis focuses on, though presented by a Micron employee, is just discussing the LPDDR4 standard in general (it is a JEDEC standard, which is the body that defines memory standards like DDR and LPDDR). There is nothing in the article that indicates that Micron has a 'special' LPDDR4, just that they (like the other memory vendors) will be producing LPDDR4. All of the...
 120 hours is too high. The CPU is only part of a laptop's power draw. The DRAM, GPU, screen, power supply, wireless, etc... all take up a lot of power. Even if the CPU took zero power you might only see a 10-20% battery life improvement. I think it is also a little far to say 'ARM is basically a PPC' – they are both RISC cores, but the ISAs are very different, and, more importantly, their memory models are different. Porting can be done, but it is very non-trivial.And...
 That's not really true. 64-bit processors have wider datapaths and registers which can make a number of computations faster. Also, the ARM v8 instructions (i.e. the ones Apple is now targeting) add a range of other features: http://www.arm.com/files/downloads/ARMv8_Architecture.pdf
  I think some of it is a diversity argument - if you put all your fabs in one basket, you could be exposed to greater risk due to political changes, exchange rate fluctuations, regulatory changes, natural disasters, etc...  Also, New York probably has a lot of engineering talent which can be tapped, due to the long history of fabs in the area. And there is the marketing appeal - Apple has gotten a lot of flak over parts of its production chain being outside of the US,...
  I'm confused, Google's income is up 16% since this quarter last year, and their revenue is up a "considerable" 19%. That is flat?    Or are the numbers in the article not GAAP?
  While scaling is very dependent on the application, the idea that "...scalability of an app has nothing to do with the OS." is absurd. OS-level thread scheduling is still a very active area of research, especially for power conscious systems.  How and when the OS schedules threads, how it handles coherency and sharing, how it manages inter-thread communication and synchronization, how interrupts are handled, how threads/tasks are bound to cores, etc... all can have huge...
Some rough calculations:   an iPhone face is about 0.120x 0.060 meters, bright daylight is about 500 W/m^2, if you have a 15% efficient solar cell, that would be about 0.5 Watts of power.   The iPhone battery is about 5 Watt-hours. If you go through 40% of your charge per day, that is 2 W-hours.   Lots of caveats (e.g. You lose some efficiency when charging the battery, the whole face might not be cells, most places aren't that bright, 15% may be too high, etc...),...
  ?   Everything is "in /" - its the root of the filesystem.   file:///tmp/ file:///Users/foo/Desktop/   If you can't read /, you are going to have a hard time getting anywhere...
  Like I said, this device is cheaper, but the core concept is pretty much the same. People did 'dare to think about this' before the iPad, the iPad just made it cheaper.     I do hope that this becomes cheaper and more common. If it could cut out some travel for site inspections it could save a lot of money for companies (and travel grief for employees). If it were an order of magnitude or so cheaper, I could see this being fun for personal use (I expect a vast...
  I'm not sure that is true. There have been a number of telepresence robots available for a few years now: https://www.anybots.com/attack-of-the-telepresence-robots/   This seems to be a little cheaper than some, but the concept is pretty much the same (remote controlled robot with a video screen, camera, and mic), just with an iPad.