or Connect

Posts by afrodri

Problems w/ Pages:   - Poor Bibliography support (I think it has EndNote support now, but that seems like a Kludge)   - Inability to add in references (i.e. See Figure 3, See Table Above, See Page 10)   - Poor mathematical equation support   Its a real shame. I would prefer to use Pages than LaTeX or Word, but those three things make it a non-starter for writing technical papers or books.
  It seems that the issue is not that the wages are low or that the work is too hard, but that the internship is deceptive. If students were signing up for an internship with relevant work experience and then were shoved in a factory to do manual labor, this may violate labor and education laws (as the article states).   The same issue pops up in the US every few years that companies will hire interns promising they will get experience in their field (graphic design,...
  I've played with an Arduino, it is a very fun platform for hobbyist use, and there is a pretty big (and growing) following. If you ever have a chance to get to a Makerfaire you can see pretty decent sized swarms of people using Arduinos or other stripped-down hardware for various hobbies. The tools for interfacing sensors and servos are a lot easier to use than they were even a few years ago, so I think we are entering a New Age - not sure if it will be a Golden Age,...
Sometimes. Companies and large institutions often want long-term road maps so they can plan future purchases. If a product doesn't have a clear road map they may stay away, even if it offers a better short-term solution.
Authentication aside, it would be neat to have a quick and easy way to get a 3D model of someone's face. There are solutions now, but they are kind of a pain.
  You may not consider it a huge shift, but RIM and its shareholders and developers do consider it a major shift and a frightening trend.   I agree that RIM is not on the verge of bankruptcy, they still have a decent cash reserve and a decent sales base. It would be great if they could sort themselves out and come out with an impressive, well executed new software and hardware story, or had the courage to reinvent themselves as a software-only solution for secure email.
    Could you clarify your definitions?  I tend to think of the two as the same, but you seem to have very precise and differing definitions.
    Skill workers will find jobs, but if those jobs are not in areas they like, they will find other jobs. :-)   It is much easier for companies to hire people where the people already live, like existing tech centers such as Austin, the Bay Area, etc...   Remember, the high quality software engineers and programmers have very low unemployment these days (about 4% or so for software engineers, probably less for the really good ones). Getting them to pick up and move is...
    I'm sure they try to do that, but no organization is perfect. People make mistakes and say things they shouldn't where they shouldn't. This just reduces the risk that the slip up will happen surrounded by other employees, who are less of a threat, than in a random restaurant where your competitor is sitting at the next table over.    
I don't agree with that interpretation. The question he was answering directly referenced software ("Windows 8 is a touched based operating system as well...") so I think he was making the case that like hardware, a one-size-fits-all philosophy doesn't work well for the software either. Certain interfaces make sense for a desktop, but not a tablet.