or Connect

Posts by afrodri

The 'watering hole' tactic is to place code in a legitimate website that people in your targeted organization may visit. When they do, this code infects their computer.
 I think Apple helped form ARM, but the original ARM ISA (and first couple of chip core designs) were done by Acorn (British).
 I don't agree with this analysis. There has been a huge backlash against a state government flying the flag and giving the appearance of a tacit endorsement of the Confederacy and its policies.  No one (well, no one reasonable) is calling for the flag to be scrubbed from history books or even to have its public display limited.  Similarly, no one is calling for Nazi or Soviet flags to be removed from games, but there would be an outcry if a state government started flying...
 Porting an OS to a different platform is a good way to really understand that platform. There might be a very specific tool this person needed to use the older OS, but I'm guessing this was done as a learning exercise.
 Yeah, I had never heard of it till now. I could see the utility of having an app which automatically collects all those outstanding orders in one place so you don't have to search through several emails to find them, but personally I don't ship enough stuff that it would be of much use.  But, I could see a small business owner or someone who does have a lot of things shipped finding this to be handy. Still, I'm not sure I like the trade off (buying habit info for mild...
 Slice is an app that people install which scans their emails (using whatever email service) and tracks receipts and packages, so you can more easily see what online orders you've placed and where/when stuff will be arriving.  In exchange, Slice mines that information to see who is buying what.  Not something I'd ever want, but people seem to. I'm guessing many of them have not actually read the Terms of Service and may be unaware of how their information is being used.
 I wouldn't be against US assembly, but I'm not sure it matters much. The final assembly is a very small part of the overall cost (4-5%), but it gets a lot of attention. The biggest "value add" parts of the phone come from Japan, South Korea, and the US, so that is where most of the money is going. The ~$10 or so for the final assembly is pretty miniscule. From a US economic standpoint, I'm much more interested in where the processor (9%), screen (22%), or wireless...
 That makes sense. From an OS / processing perspective there isn't much of a limit on how many apps can run (at some point you run out of memory and start swapping, but it could be a lot of apps), but from a practical usability perspective it would be hard to get more than a handful of apps visible and running without overlapping windows. At that point, you've basically got a laptop with a touch screen not a tablet.
 Currently, no. But with some changes (bigger screen, split screen) it could satisfy at least some 'power' users. For me, I do a lot of code development, but I tend to compile & run the code on a remote server / cluster so I don't really need a lot of local processing or memory. I'd like a larger iPad to use as a 'dumb' terminal and save a bit of weight when on travel. Again, this is not everyone's use case (and is not even my only use case), but you asked why someone...
 So you can use your tablet more like a laptop/desktop. I generally have lots of applications running & visible on my laptop:  – terminal (remotely accessing a server)  – web browser (reading an API spec)  – email / message  – video (watching a movie in the background) If I could do this on a tablet, it would be handy. Of course, my use case is not the one everyone uses, but not everyone just wants one or two apps running.