or Connect

Posts by afrodri

Whoa there, I don't think Katy Huberty was criticizing Apple. The quote came from the latest earnings telcon, and she was asking what the big drivers were. Huberty has been very positive on Apple's outlook and particularly the Apple Watch.  All she did was note that R&D spending has been increasing quickly. 
 Plus a lot of those different chips are fabbed in very different processes. If you try to make DRAM in an MPU/CPU process you end up with memory that has poor density and wastes the several layers of interconnect that an MPU process has. If you try to make a processor in a DRAM process you end up with a slow, bloated processor because DRAM is optimized differently and has fewer layers of metal. Also, while putting everything on one chip offers some nice space and power...
 Interesting. That seems to indicate that a lot of the increase was on the 'Research' side, rather than on 'Development' (i.e. basic technologies rather than product design). I'm glad to see that. Research is riskier, but has a better chance of pulling off some really stunning new breakthroughs which can give Apple a competitive advantage.
 I think your demographics of who gets tattoos are a little outdated – about 23% of adults have tattoos, and almost 40% of those age 18-29 do. (source: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/10/millennials-confident-connected-open-to-change.pdf) Unless you think that 40% of people under 30 are homeless / felons / drug addicts / bikers...  Adults age 18-29 with tattoos are less likely to have attended college, but with almost a third of college attendees having tattoos,...
Yup, that's what happens when people start Thinking Different™ – tattoos, piercings, long hair on men, pants on women, variable kerning on fonts... Where does it end???  /s
 That may be one option for Google ads, but the default is pay-per-click. The user 'bids' for an ad display slot against other users, buy you are only charged by Google if someone clicks on your ad.  I prefer this to the pay-per-impression, because Google has an incentive to pick ads which are more suitable (i.e. more people will click on them). https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497976?hl=en
 Phones are not the only thing that ARM is targeting.  ARM's model is to make generic processors for a variety of applications (phones, embedded sensors, and, more recently, servers) and then offer architectural licenses for companies (like Apple, Broadcom, or AMD) to make their own implementations which specialize and target specific applications. Additionally, part of the goal of big.little for low power systems is so you can switch a thread from the big core to the...
 They (Apple) do specify in the report: p6 "...we’re already running more than 360 of our Apple Retail Stores worldwide on 100 percent renewable energy." I haven't asked any stores about their recycling, but from walking behind a couple of Apple Stores I have noticed that they tend to have a lot more stuff in the recycle bin than the non-recycle bin, which makes sense. I would imagine most of the refuse from a store is recyclable (paper, some plastic) and they don't...
 Sometimes it can be made from totally recycled components, but sometimes not.   First, not all paper/packaging is recycled, and the demand for packaging is not decreasing, so there still needs to be new fiber added. Also, as paper products are repeatedly recycled their fibers get shorter which leads to weaker paper (though for some applications, shorter fibers are better).  You might be able to recycle paper 4-6 times, but the later recycles may only be good for newsprint...
 I'm not assuming it is a bogus result, but I am saying that it there is not enough information available to judge how accurate it is. Anyone with a spreadsheet can compute a margin of error, but if your sample is systematically skewed then it is still not a good survey.  They also mentioned that they adjusted the outcome based on US Census demographic data, which is a good sign, but doesn't address their initial sampling methodology. In short, the result is interesting,...