or Connect

Posts by afrodri

Phones are not the only thing that ARM is targeting.  ARM's model is to make generic processors for a variety of applications (phones, embedded sensors, and, more recently, servers) and then offer architectural licenses for companies (like Apple, Broadcom, or AMD) to make their own implementations which specialize and target specific applications. Additionally, part of the goal of big.little for low power systems is so you can switch a thread from the big core to the...
 They (Apple) do specify in the report: p6 "...we’re already running more than 360 of our Apple Retail Stores worldwide on 100 percent renewable energy." I haven't asked any stores about their recycling, but from walking behind a couple of Apple Stores I have noticed that they tend to have a lot more stuff in the recycle bin than the non-recycle bin, which makes sense. I would imagine most of the refuse from a store is recyclable (paper, some plastic) and they don't...
 Sometimes it can be made from totally recycled components, but sometimes not.   First, not all paper/packaging is recycled, and the demand for packaging is not decreasing, so there still needs to be new fiber added. Also, as paper products are repeatedly recycled their fibers get shorter which leads to weaker paper (though for some applications, shorter fibers are better).  You might be able to recycle paper 4-6 times, but the later recycles may only be good for newsprint...
 I'm not assuming it is a bogus result, but I am saying that it there is not enough information available to judge how accurate it is. Anyone with a spreadsheet can compute a margin of error, but if your sample is systematically skewed then it is still not a good survey.  They also mentioned that they adjusted the outcome based on US Census demographic data, which is a good sign, but doesn't address their initial sampling methodology. In short, the result is interesting,...
 [bold emphasis mine] I think this is the crux of the matter – is the survey properly performed? I haven't been able to find the actual survey methodology, so I don't know. As I understand, Ipsos is a paid survey service, so that may also skew the results (i.e. are the people who take online surveys for money a representative sample of the population?).
 Why not do both?  Companies compete in one area while cooperating in another all the time. Apple and IBM were competitors in the PC market, and then cooperated on the PowerPC architecture (with Motorola, who competed with IBM in workstation and server processors, then cooperated on PPC and then competed on embedded processors). All the major memory vendors compete with each other and are part of JEDEC, where they cooperate on defining memory standards. The idea that giant...
 [text bolded for emphasis] I think this is the root of the problem for me – for features to return, that means they have to leave first. For someone who wants to use Apple products (particularly iWork) in a professional setting, I need reliability. I don't like the idea that a Pages document I formatted one week may suddenly lose that formatting when I update or that a Keynote presentation I made a few years ago may suddenly no longer work with the latest version. Apple...
 Probably not. And I was also imagine that Apple has an 'individualized assessment' mechanism as the EEOC best practices recommends, but that this was not reported.
 I'm not a lawyer either, so this is based on my reading of http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm#VB9 Particularly:8. Targeted Exclusions that Are Guided by the Green Factors "...Title VII thus does not necessarily require individualized assessment in all circumstances. However, the use of individualized assessments can help employers avoid Title VII liability by allowing them to consider more complete information on individual applicants or employees, as...
 From a legal perspective, I think it is just the opposite. If you have a blanket 'no felons' policy, the EEOC guidelines say you are at a much higher risk of discrimination. If you evaluate each case individually, you are in a much better spot. That doesn't mean you have to do a full security check and reinvestigate the case, but if you have a blanket "no felons" policy you are in a problematic place. Of course, it is not clear how 'blanket' Apple's policy is. I would...