or Connect

Posts by afrodri

[bold emphasis mine] I think this is the crux of the matter – is the survey properly performed? I haven't been able to find the actual survey methodology, so I don't know. As I understand, Ipsos is a paid survey service, so that may also skew the results (i.e. are the people who take online surveys for money a representative sample of the population?).
 Why not do both?  Companies compete in one area while cooperating in another all the time. Apple and IBM were competitors in the PC market, and then cooperated on the PowerPC architecture (with Motorola, who competed with IBM in workstation and server processors, then cooperated on PPC and then competed on embedded processors). All the major memory vendors compete with each other and are part of JEDEC, where they cooperate on defining memory standards. The idea that giant...
 [text bolded for emphasis] I think this is the root of the problem for me – for features to return, that means they have to leave first. For someone who wants to use Apple products (particularly iWork) in a professional setting, I need reliability. I don't like the idea that a Pages document I formatted one week may suddenly lose that formatting when I update or that a Keynote presentation I made a few years ago may suddenly no longer work with the latest version. Apple...
 Probably not. And I was also imagine that Apple has an 'individualized assessment' mechanism as the EEOC best practices recommends, but that this was not reported.
 I'm not a lawyer either, so this is based on my reading of http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/arrest_conviction.cfm#VB9 Particularly:8. Targeted Exclusions that Are Guided by the Green Factors "...Title VII thus does not necessarily require individualized assessment in all circumstances. However, the use of individualized assessments can help employers avoid Title VII liability by allowing them to consider more complete information on individual applicants or employees, as...
 From a legal perspective, I think it is just the opposite. If you have a blanket 'no felons' policy, the EEOC guidelines say you are at a much higher risk of discrimination. If you evaluate each case individually, you are in a much better spot. That doesn't mean you have to do a full security check and reinvestigate the case, but if you have a blanket "no felons" policy you are in a problematic place. Of course, it is not clear how 'blanket' Apple's policy is. I would...
 I don't know if _I_ would blame Apple, but the EEOC might. As I understand, blanket bans on employment without individual assessment can be difficult to enforce or open the employer up to legal action.  Green v. Missouri Pacific Railroad said that the type of crime, time elapsed, and type of job be considered in an individual assessment rather than blanket rulings.
 Intel has been trying to turn their mobile ship around for 5 years (first Atom was late 2009). They will keep trying (and may succeed) but they are fighting against some different forces now compared to the AMD64 era:  – Itanium was a costly misstep, but jumping back to x86 wasn't that hard – they still had x86 design teams and could use some of the same tricks the AMD did (e.g. putting the memory controller on chip)  – ARM has a large entrenched codebase (both iOS,...
 The geekbench3 benchmark does include some memory intensive tests (Stream), but I'm not sure how they are weighted. The link to the new 12-inch's results seems to be broken, so it is hard to say how it compares on that.  Most of the geekbench3 tests are very CPU-heavy or look trivially parallelizable, which is a shame as most of the advances in computer design have been in the cache and memory systems. Even the memory intensive stream tests are very amenable to simple...
 AR does not have to be an intrusive, wearable device like Google Glass. It could just be an app on your phone which uses the existing camera and sensors (like in the figure in the article)