or Connect

Posts by afrodri

This would be ideal, but I don't think it fits under the current realization of IP law. Ideally, companies should be able to borrow from each other (to some extent), and acknowledge influence, but doing so would potentially open them to legal attack. Thus, we have companies pretending that everything they come up with sprang fully formed from the head of their R&D department, with no intellectual heritage.
:-)That's true for rational argument, but for some reason doesn't seem to hold for many people's perception. Many people expect more of Apple, so when something bad comes to light they are shocked and outraged. If the same conditions are associated with another company people shrug and ignore it.
Its not clear from the summary, but they do mention one component of "emotional appeal" is "Trust". Amazon does do a good job of being a trusted retailer, in that they have a good return policy, tend to ship things on time, have pretty good communication with customers, and do a good job as an arbiter between the consumer and other retailers through the "Amazon Marketplace". It might also be that Amazon does a decent job of suggesting products for customers, so people...
"Social responsibility" is one of the measured vectors. It is not derailing to wonder how the bad press (justified or not) that Apple has been getting has or will effect its image. As Macky pointed out, Apple is high right now due to the "Buzz" factor. It will be interesting to see if this continues and Apple maintains it image like CocaCola has for decades, or if Apple is at a high point right now, but will lost attention. The technology sector can be fickle. Unless...
On my personal MBP, I like to watch movies. That's just about the only thing I ever use it for. On my work MBP, occasionally I might get some documents on a CD, but that is vanishingly rare.... I have to admit that I'd prefer to have an internal ODD and I'll happily sacrifice a few mm of thickness, but I can see how my use case might not be a market driver. As long as there is a large screen and I can stuff enough DRAM in, I'll be happy. The early Airs were a little too...
The way things were in the 1950s? So you're calling for much higher marginal tax rates on the rich, and higher union memberships? :-)
The methodology used in the article doesn't just look at direct employment, but also assumes an "employment spillover" factor of 1.5 (which seems pretty high to me, but I'm not an economist). Their overall methodology was: 1. They found 44,400 non-duplicate help-wanted ads for "app economy" technical jobs (i.e. computer and math) 2. They Multiplied this by 3.5, assuming for every want ad there are actually 3.5 jobs 3. They assumed that for each tech job there is also one...
I'm confused by these sentences. ARM is a RISC chip, so what do you mean by "it will perform certain tasks better than a RISC"? Did you mean to say CISC the second time? I don't think there is a clear move by Apple to dump x86 and move to ARM, they are probably just keeping their options open. Paying for 12 weeks of intern labor when you have $100B in cash is not a major commitment of resources, or an indication that they are abandoning the traditional laptop/desktop...
He was working on the open source part of MacOS, so Apple may not have had a problem with it. Apple is very secretive about some things, but very open about others. They work a lot with the open source community on compilers (llvm) and the CUPS printing services, so they certainly don't shy away from being open when it serves there need. I think other people have worked on the Darwin/ARM port as well, there have been bug reports related to it for a while. e.g....
From skimming the patent, it looks like the slices are a bit more independent that most vector processors, in that each slice has its own register file, and can operate on a different thread at the same time. Sorta reminds me of the 'clustered' micro-architectures which were talked about for DSPs.