or Connect

Posts by afrodri

I think there are three common arguments: 1. Apple has an "institutional memory" of the dark times when the company was losing market share and profitability, and tends to be more conservative (or paranoid, depending on your view) about keeping a nest egg. 2. There is a _perception_ that companies which offer dividends are not growth-oriented. The basic idea is that if you are giving your money to your shareholders, you are saying "we're out of ideas". Its not clear there...
I would say this comment qualifies one for the elitist cap. :-)
I'm not doubting it your fundamental assertion (India will be a smaller market than rich nations), just trying to put some numbers to it, and point out that there is a good potential for future growth and even a number of people (several million) who might have the income to buy one in the near future. I was in India last December and did see a lot of iPhone billboards as well as a decent number of iPhones in use. So there already is a market. It makes sense that Apple...
One study:http://blog.shunya.net/shunyas_blog/...th-report.html seems to indicate that there are about 16 million "rich" Indians households, who make more than $35,000 USD/year. In addition there are 160 "middle class" households making $8-35K USD. I believe that is a straight conversion, not purchasing power, so the amount of disposable income may actually be higher. Even if only the "Rich" segment is considered that's tens of millions of potential customers, and with...
I wish it just supported LaTeX equation formatting... I'd prefer not to have to buy MathType, and from people who have used it I've heard that it is not as powerful as LaTeX. But what really confuses me is the lack of bibliography/citation/endnote capability. Pages has had this problem as well, and it makes it impossible to use for any serious technical writing. I hope they fix this, because I can't imagine a textbook tool which doesn't have the ability to include...
If the Singaporean armed forces are like the US, many of those servicemen may live on base. Also, Singapore does have a navy, and sailors may like taking a phone with them...I'm curious, why the sarcasm? Singapore does have one of the most advanced militaries in the region, and includes F-15 and F-16s, domestically produced stealth ships, UAVs, etc... They are a small but wealthy country (higher per capita GDP than the US, for instance) and have a strong,...
I'm assuming this is just trolling, but I'll take the bait. Processors: Desktop PC processors were dominated by the CISC based Motorolla 68K family and the Intel/AMD x86 family (which pretty much dominated the space). IBM, Apple, and Motorola got together and formed the AIM alliance which took an ISA from IBM's POWER series, combined it with some IP (memory controller I think) from Moto's line, and created the PowerPC processors, which were very nice and much lower power...
True but, you could say the same for DRAM at the lowest levels. Whenever you write a single bit to a DDR DRAM you are erasing a block of memory when you discharge the DRAM cells into the sense amps, then writing bytes back in a sequential order as you burst data in. The only difference is the size of block you are moving. And the limitations are not a fundamental feature of flash, they are just an implementation choice. Just like you could make a DRAM with a 64KB row...
This is probably nit-picking at definitions, but what about accessing a flash memory device does not make it a "random access memory"? At the device level, you give it an address and it returns the data in roughly constant time, like a DRAM or SRAM, and unlike a disk or tape. At the software level it can be accessed with read()s and write()s like file IO, but you can also just mmap() it in and use it that way. I think one of the memory vendors actually came out with a...
Wow, they must be doing really well in publications per capita if they come in 1st and 3rd... :-)