or Connect

Posts by slughead

Well I was TRYING to be nice to Apple. The real situation is this: How do you upgrade an iMac from an x1600 to a x1900? Answer: YOU CAN'T! In a DIY machine, you just buy the card, and put it in. With the ROM's out there, you can even buy a PC version, flash it, and put it in. I was just using the 7600 as an example, but if you want to be all "well that's moot because nobody would ever even DO that" then fine, I'll point out that you can't pay ANY amount of money to get a...
Do you ever get the feeling, when reading what others have to say, that they're extremely certain about something which you know to be wrong? What if they're getting the same feeling about you? How do you know who is right? You can't both be right, so someone must be wrong... Unless of course, logic, being a construct of man, is wrong, and two conflicting realities can exist concurrently. Either that, or it's utterly pointless to argue over this silliness.
He's willing to pay extra to have a mac, just not as much as Apple asks him to. Building your own PC is easy (1 hour including windows install time, plus 30 minutes of automated updates) and saves about 40% off dell or Apple (except in the case of the mac pro). He's building an AMD system with about as much power as the 20" iMac and it'll probably cost him 60% less. So he's not building a corvette because the porshe is expensive. Apple sells a garage with a posche in it,...
edit: Removed--redundant
It's OK, I like the creationism debate.. and the purdy colors
He HAS a monitor, he WANTS upgradability. Therefore, laptops, imacs, and mac mini's wont do.He does NOT have $2500, therefore, a Mac Pro won't do.His first computer was THE FIRST iMac from 1998. The hard drive and CD ROM drive failed in the thing, and he lamented taking the thing apart and not being able to afford a CD ROM drive that would fit in its place.He did not have a CD ROM drive for 3 years, as he refused to put any money into "that damn POS".He bought a used G4...
ARG! sorry! Here, I'll end this according to Godwin's Law: EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS A NAZI! Thread over.
Damn you and your semantics! If there's a God, he's against semantics! EDIT: I was going to reply but I just realized my previous post didn't turn out right (taking a circuitous route to get to the point but didn't bother completing it). It was supposed to be the Point 1 + Point 2 = Point 3 argument, where 1 and 2 are obvious and innocuous. I forget what that kind of argument is called. Therefore, you win. I'm a bit hungover today. Where's my bloody mary?EDIT2: PS: I was...
My friend (who was about to upgrade from a G4 450) put it this way: "I have a monitor, and I want upgradability. What I do not have is $2,500." He's going to build his own PC. Thanks Apple.
Descartes was not an idiot.I hate to bring up Descartes again--oh wait, no I don't--but any belief can be true, theoretically. We have to make DOGMATIC assumptions to ignore these people.Just because a belief is unpopular does not mean it's not true. For instance, I have some "out there" political views that were which were generally accepted 70 years ago (no, they're not sexist or racist). VERY FEW people believe in what I believe, that hardly makes it untrue, even...