or Connect

Posts by mjtomlin

The south bay doesn't quite shake as much during an earthquake as you might expect. When we lived in San Jose during the 89' quake, not so much as a plate fell over. That epicenter was just southwest of San Jose in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Most damage is from shoddy construction and structures built on much less stable landfill.  Give me a break... The whole of California is not going to end up like Detroit or Baltimore! LOL  Neither will the SF Bay Area - it has survived...
 Umm, yeah that is usually the case after initial demand is met.   Saw moderate sales? They built 6 million, they pretty much sold out before the iPhone 3G was released. Doesn't he remember the reports of the iPhone being out of stock a couple of weeks before the debut of the 3G?
 This is why Steve Jobs pulled Apple out of manufacturing and began outsourcing. As businesses begin to consolidate and certain volumes of production can be obtained, the cost also goes down. Smaller firms that can't meet those volumes, and in turn costs, are pushed out of the market. This is what was happening to Apple in the mid-90's when they were still building their own computers.Although I'm not really sure what you mean by component companies and product design...
 Give me a break. You come across as a self-important whiner... as if Apple should've catered to your needs over their release plans. Sorry, but Apple obviously allocated X amount for pre-order and others for release in a few select high fashions outlets. The fact that you find this ridiculous and that Apple is somehow dissing you, makes you even more pretentious than the people who shop as those retail outlets.
 First of all, you're not making a valid comparison between Microsoft with it's 90% share of the desktop PC market versus Apple's almost 20% of the mobile device market. There isn't a monopoly issue with iOS at all. Second, Windows was an open development platform - meaning anyone could write an application for Windows without needing Microsoft's permission. Again, this is not the case with Apple and iOS; Apple can choose who gets to be a part of their development...
 I switched to DuckDuckGo a few years ago. The only time I ever use Google, is when I need to search for part numbers - Google has been around so long their results for obscure terms are much more exhaustive.
 It's not about control, it's about limiting access through an honor system. A web developer can add a 'robots.txt' file to any directory that is filled with instructions that basically tells these 'bots' what they can and can't do. Web crawlers are supposed to honor any settings in this file. Some web crawlers define their own instructions. Any other web crawler can also look for and abide by those rules - which is what Apple is saying their crawler does - they recognize...
Enterprise apps DO NOT GO THROUGH THE APPSTORE, they're served up by institutional servers.
Let's all remember this is an ESTIMATED number of SHIPPED smartphones. Samsung does not and has never released sales figures for each market segment. A couple of years ago they flooded the market with their devices to beef up supposed marketshare. That came back to bite them a year later when there was too much stock left in the channel and their new flagship model sales started to wane due to the need to give away older models. I suspect after that correction, they're...
  They're hardly "meaningless" numbers. It depends on what you're looking for? Looking at what leaves the assembly lines is an indication of a company's sales expectations. Apple is good at selling just about everything that's shipped and keeping enough in the channel to satisfy further demand. So if Apple ships 10 million iPads versus 16 million in the year ago quarter, it could mean one of two things: 1. They have enough left in the channel from the previous quarter or,...