or Connect

Posts by koffedrnkr

i never meant to incur the wrath of anyone...just wondering out loud.
so here's my iphone related question.... cellular technology basically triangulates your position relative to the known locations of cellphone towers. this information is used to determine which tower will handle your signal as you move from place to place. this means your position is known to the network. instead of using a battery-hungry and slow GPS transponder to get info on your position from an orbiting satellite, wouldn't it be easier and quicker to get it...
personally, i think the major weakness of all traditional tablets is the screen. it's glass which means the possibility of expensive breakage. combine that shortcoming with the size requirements of a standard keyboard, HD & traditional I/O and everything you design becomes bulky. the apple pad needs to be truly portable, sleek and thin....everything web pads today are not. i'm thinking.... 1) a shell made of tough polycarbonate & using a LEP (light emitting plastics)...
what i most want in safari downloads is the ability to name things before they download. a close 2nd is a way to see the progress of the download without having to locate the download windows. a bar graph down on the status bar would work just fine....
Dj mixing is neat....if you're a DJ. personally, i'd be much more enthusiastic about the addition of basic CD label printing from itunes. that's something i can use with each and every disc i burn....
another idea..... if you have the latest version of itunes, go to preferences and check "use error correction when reading audio CD's". you'll find it under the IMPORT prefs. this feature is specifically there to deal with certain forms of copy protection that put errors in the cd header. it may take a bit longer to rip, but it may solve your problem. cheers! koffedrnkr
here are mine...in no particular order 1 ) aquisition - first rate P2P gnutella client 2 ) konfabulator - run free widgets to do just about anything 3 ) macjanitor - run OSX's built in maintenance with an easy GUI 4 ) clutter - it controls itunes, get cover art, organizes music & more 5 ) silverkeeper - free and decent backup app from lacie 6 ) pacifist - extract individual apps from PKG files (like apple disks) 7 ) tranquility - bizarre and addictive mac...
if you have the additional space, the cheapest thing is to move all your files. initialize the drive and put the files back. you'll remove the fragmentation for free....that it, if you have the time, space and patience. i don't know of a cheaper shareware/freeware app that i'd trust with my files. at $69, drive 10 is a good deal. buy now and micromat will send you a free version of their $99 techtool 4 when it's released later this summer....
you'll find that your encoding settings can have a large effect on speed. if you're using Variable Bit Rate compression and filtering frequencies below 10hz...it can have a cumulative effect. even the kind and complexity of the music you're ripping can play a part. my advice is to experiment ripping the exact same track with a variety of settings to arrive at a encoding speed and quality you can live with. until itunes 4...i was using a custom setup: VBR medium...
a little TIVO counterpoint.... i agree replay TV has some great features...but those features have generated the hatred and illwill of the entertainment industry... and sonicblue has multiple lawsuits to prove it. TIVO has taken a compromise position which, along with their current partnerships with direcTV, sony and philips , will help to ensure its continued survival. it's neat that replay can mail shows to other replay owners, but the process takes hours and...