or Connect

Posts by snoopy

Seriously, have you considered a used Mac Pro? The only drawback might be its size. You say that your requirement is internal devices. The Pro has four drive bays and is extremely easy to open without using any tools. In that regard, it's likely better than moderately priced Windows PCs. I gave up on Apple ever making a consumer tower, and bought a five year old Mac Pro. It is great, and silent too. The loudest sound is the hard drive. It came with Airport Extreme...
I'll put in my two cents. Seeing how the low end iMac is $1200, essentially, I think that would be a good be starting price for and xMac. The buyer would be trading the built-in display for flexibility and serviceability of the xMac: drive bays, PCIe card slots, RAM expansibility and an easily removable access panel. Higher configurations would likely go over $2000. I don't know enough about professional needs for a workstation to comment on Mac Pro pricing, but I...
Thanks for your clarification. Though Windows-based vendors sell mostly xMac style PCs, you say it is not for Apple. The reason you give is that Apple makes more profit on computers than those companies making Windows products. Do you really think that is a proof of your statement? I say that Apple can price the xMac so it is very profitable. Why wouldn't Apple do so? Apple has no competition when it comes to selling computers running Mac OSX. The competition is...
I understand you to say that there is no viable market for a Mac between the Mini and Pro if it does not have a built-in display. Yet, in the world of Windows, that's precisely what sells the most. How would you explain that? I happen to believe that computer makers are selling what buyers want. For whatever reason, Apple chose to only offer the iMac in this price/performance range, take it or leave it. To me, it looks like a marketing blind spot on Apple's part.
We can't use Mac sales to indicate what type of computer customers want, seeing how Apple's desktop offerings are so limited. One forecast for 2011 projects worldwide sales of personal computers to be 36% desktops and 64% mobile. And those figures exclude servers. At about one third of total sales, I'd say that desktop computers represent a very sizable market.http://www.etforecasts.com/products/ES_pcww1203.htm
If a significant percentage of desktop users preferred an all-in-one computer like the iMac, or a tiny thing like the Mac Mini, most companies making Windows based computers would be offering such products, but they do not. They are not dumb, but rather, are producing pretty much what buyers want. I suspect Apple has refrained from making an xMac because it would hurt, or possibly devastate, the sales of iMacs. So in effect, Apple is sacrificing higher desktop...
Consider bypassing Apple to get an affordable tower. I now have my xMac, so to speak. I just bought an older Mac Pro with 2 dual core, 2.66 GHz Xeons, 8 GB of RAM, an nVidia 8800gt video card, Airport Extreme and Bluetooth installed, plus keyboard and mouse, all in beautiful condition. I found it on Craigslist for $850. If Apple won't build a lower cost tower, I'll buy one in the used market.
Could you explain your comment? I see the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro all competing within the laptop computer line. Why should the desktop line be any different? Shortage of desirable desktop models may be what is hurting sales in that product line.
What you and others are saying is that Apple knows best. However, Apple is not the only company doing market research to find out what customers want. All PC makers do this, and make what customers desire most. So why is it that I've never seen a Windows all-in-one or mini PC? If these are for sale, almost nobody is buying them. We should be seeing lots of them in the Window world if that is what customers really wanted most.So, let's get down to the real reason there...
Pointing out that "Laptops account for the vast majority of their computer sales," suggests that Apple is weaker in the desktop market. Yet if they are making so much money, they don't need to sell the most popular type of desktop computer. A couple niche markets is probably good enough, tiny computers and all-in-ones.