or Connect

Posts by sunilraman

I hate these garbage advertising stunts mobile phone companies do, flushing endless millions down the sewer. Maybe if they actually tried making products that didn't stop evolving in the 90's they would do better.
They should be charged and tried in court. The lack of rule of law in China is disturbing. (As you know I like to yammer on about)I hope we have alternatives to China over the next 50 years. Otherwise, addiction to oil will look like nothing compared to addiction to China.There's a reason why Huawei has been blocked from Australia's National Broadband Network, even though Huawei is in everything else here from telco gear through to 3g/4g modems.
It's just rubbish isn't it? What sort of lack of mental faculties does one need to suffer to believe this stuff from Best Buy/ the media?
There's a lot of debate on SSN/ EIN/ ITIN on Apple forums and lots of confusion. Now, in the long run I have some crazy ideas but for now... Go to the IRS website. Download form SS-4 to fax to the IRS. Read the form. See the back where it says "Is a foreign person needing an EIN to comply with IRS withholding regulations" (and for double-taxation treaties etc. eg. Australia) ~ fill out as needed. Well, that's where I've gotten to so far. Apparently you can call the IRS...
The point is I support the ACCC in pursuing this matter against Apple. Sure, there's definitely elements of theatre here but their premise is legitimate.What I do suggest though is a very, very bloody simple solution: DC-HSPA+ ~ for all intents and purposes if you're getting up to 20mbps or more with that, that's 4G [insert long debate on ITU even though nobody in real life gives a flying fart about the ITU standards].So, ACCC please sit down here, Apple, please sit down...
Looks like this will be sorted in mediation of sorts. See: The Federal Court has accepted an undertaking from Apple Pty Limited in response to an urgent application filed by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) earlier today. The ACCC has alleged that the promotion of the "iPad with WiFi + 4G" by Apple Pty Limited and Apple Inc is misleading because it represents to Australian consumers that the product "iPad with WiFi + 4G" can, with a SIM card,...
Looks like this will be sorted in mediation of sorts. See: The Federal Court has accepted an undertaking from Apple Pty Limited in response to an urgent application filed by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) earlier today. The ACCC has alleged that the promotion of the "iPad with WiFi + 4G" by Apple Pty Limited and Apple Inc is misleading because it represents to Australian consumers that the product "iPad with WiFi + 4G" can, with a SIM card,...
The bizarre thing is that Apple and Telstra have not gone to advertise DC-HSPA+ as "4G". It would annoy some but that was a possible avenue, and DC-HSPA+ would have headed off a lot of this stuff. Apple still doesn't say anything about DC-HSPA+, maybe because it just doesn't want to change the name of WiFi + 4G because that's a monstrous undertaking now, and maybe it just wants to make the ACCC go away. That said, the sentence is clearer by Apple, and it seems some of...
Not so clear. Looks like this will be sorted in mediation of sorts. See:The Federal Court has accepted an undertaking from Apple Pty Limited in response to an urgent application filed by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) earlier today.The ACCC has alleged that the promotion of the "iPad with WiFi + 4G" by Apple Pty Limited and Apple Inc is misleading because it represents to Australian consumers that the product "iPad with WiFi + 4G" can, with a SIM...
As for the frequency bands, Gizmodo Aust has a good quote from Telstra: "We’ve reframed our 1800MHz spectrum (previously used for 2G) to offer Australia’s first 4G LTE network" "We intend to bid for additional spectrum in the 700MHz and 2600MHz bands that the government is planning to put up for auction at the end of 2012. The 700MHz band has great propagation characteristics as it is a lower band like the 850MHz band we currently offer our Next G network on. The...