or Connect

Posts by sunilraman

Greed, as always.
I think most people wonder why it can't be simple like you mention. Former Sprint execs have mentioned that Qualcomm, licensing for LTE and so on was not attractive. One even says Qualcomm is double-dipping with LTE, Qualcomm not being a stranger to such controversy, e.g.: http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le+Dipping.htm Part of the push for WiMax was/is because of less patent and royalty encumbrance, though for some reason there appears, IMO, to be less compatibility...
Yes and yes. Because the 3G used was pretty much as per global standards... otherwise known as "AT&T" in the states. Remember that during the iPhone's lifetime they (Apple) were trying to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of global 3G standards. I probably sound like a smartass here but my view is that, finally, with the might of Apple the iPad "3" has actually catapulted US users ahead of some other countries (though there's Android LTE devices all around the...
NexG right now only means 3G at 850mhz, whereby 850mhz is a common 3G band. Even the iPhone 3G supported it. Telstra's LTE is 1800mhz and devices on Telstra are supposed to use LTE 1800mhz and fall back to 3G 850mhz.Not sure how 2100mhz is an issue?I think the concern here is the inability of the industry to truly standardise on what 4G is supposed to be. It's like one hard drive manufacturer saying "Oh, it's 400GB when things are looking good, 3GB when it's not", with...
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi ... In other news Huawei is banned or something from contracts involving nationwide 100mbps fibre being rolled out now (National Broadband Network).
(Please excuse the serial postings, I just got my AppleTV and want to address some points)AFAIK, the iTunes content is encoded in whatever aspect ratio it's supposed to be in, like 2.3+:1, 1.8+:1, 16:9 and so on.If you can afford it, the Cinema televisions seem sweet.Note however that AFAIK there's no "anamorphic" encoding for the latest iTunes 1080p and 720p. It used to be a good advantage during the days of DVD because instead of wasting encoding space with black bars,...
Because today I woke up, was half asleep, didn't want to leave my new pet cricket (not kidding, it doesn't seem to want to leave the house), didn't have to drive, didn't have to spend petrol or release carbon emissions, managed to rent a 1080p movie on AppleTV for ~$5 USD/AUD, and don't have to use up physical media. Not saying it's perfect for everyone, but I do see the value. Of course, the key is quality broadband with sufficient quota, which was what prevented me from...
There's all sorts of crazy ass limitations for years with iTunes content. I had previously been berated for complaining about HDCP protection which lets you watch protected content on your Mac but not an external monitor when connected via VGA or DVI.At least 1080p is available throughout new AppleTV, new iPad and existing Macs... They could've gone the AppleTV-only route which based on my earlier observations could have been something they seriously considered.
Yes, my mistake, though it looks like Apple also made a mistake and modified their document at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4095 "1080p content is only compatible with iPad (3rd generation), Apple TV (3rd generation), and computers that meet the minimum system requirements. HD content purchased directly on iPad 2 or earlier will continue to download in 720p. You may still download the 1080p version using the Purchased page on your computer based on availability. " All in...
Yeah that turns off the 3.5 out of 4 cores of GPU so you're only running at half a core, and de-Retinises the display to run at 640x480 pixels. It also turns on a small mass effect field to make the battery have 10% more mass in the same space. You can tell where my mind is at. Carry on.