or Connect

Posts by concentricity

Seriously, how is that not a MacBook Air? Oh right, the Windows logo on the option key!
Must...block...stupid!
What are you talking about?! Maiden has a property tax rate of 0.4%. If Apple's data center is assessed at $1B, the property taxes due TO THE TOWN would be $4M/year. However, Apple negotiated a 50% reduction for 10 years...meaning they give the town $2M/year. That is $2 million per year the town didn't previously get. An additional $2 million per year to be spent "to provide such services as administration, finance and accounting administration, planning and zoning,...
So, I'm not so good at math...what is 95% of $0?
Ok, now you're just being ridiculous, and I don't feel bad saying so. Try reading this...it's a whitepaper from Cisco titled "How a LAN switch works" and is _quite_ explicit.http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=357103 And, since a hub can't operate at full-duplex, how is it every single home router and switch I've ever seen is detected as full-duplex? Is that marketing? Don't you know how insanely litigious this country is? Don't you think if all these...
No, nobody even makes hubs anymore. The only real use for one would be for port monitoring, but all managed switches allow monitoring by duplicating all traffic to another port. And I worked in networking during 98-2002 range when gigabit over copper was first being discussed and then shipped, and I'd bet my life no one ever produced a gigabit hub. It would have been the most ridiculous device ever, as all devices connected to it would have to have been gigabit also (at...
The very nature of a hub is that it acts as a repeating bridge (which is a clearly defined network device, not a general term here) between separate physical network segments, essentially making multiple wire segments act as one. There is _no_ routing going on or even possible in a hub. A hub literally just repeats all traffic on each segment to every other segment. It's about as fundamentally opposite as you can get to a router.It's not a belief, it's simple fact that...
I'm sorry Hiro, but this is just completely wrong. All routers are switches. Each and every port on even the cheapest home router is its very own network segment, with a collision domain limited to the device (computer, NAS, whatever) and the router. And even the most basic home router will do full-duplex, meaning that both the router and the device can transmit at full speed (in opposite directions of course) and NEVER have a collision.
Unfortunately, Hiro's response is, um, mostly wrong. First, you don't have any collisions (well, unless there's something wrong with the Mac or the Router). I'm not going into long detail, but feel free to lookup collision domains. Collisions are _pretty much_ only an issue on shared networks (read: hub, not switch). Your issue is mostly hard drive read and write limitations. A fair average sustained read throughput would be in the 60-75 MB/s, and average write...
There are roughly 115 million households in the US. According to the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, about 61 million households have some level of cable TV. So, you're saying close to 50% of the american population qualifies as a "tiny niche market"? Don't forget, for reference, Apple has about 150 million iTunes users registered. And regardless, I'm afraid you've missed the point...what percent of those 61 million cable TV subscribing households...