or Connect

Posts by commoncents

Whatever.   You can argue about terms all you want, but the fact is that if you use Apple's products and you make use of Apple's stores, anyone with half a brain and a bit of objectivity will admit that Apple is categorically different than any other technology company out there.  You can label that however you will, but they are indeed in a class by themselves. 
    Sure, there is a huge portion of the world who can't afford data plans.  Many struggle to obtain food and clean water too.    And none of them can afford to buy Apple products.  Apple can't (or at least shouldn't) be all things to all people.  That is not their formula of success (more success, it should be pointed out) than any other technology business in the history of the world.
  Well who says they're not competing against Google and Amazon?  Of course they are.   And from the numbers I've heard, looks like they're kicking their butts with the mini...despite what some complain of as cutting corners.  Seems like consumers are delighted with the mini.  It's mostly internet pundits who have a problem with it.   As far as iPad 2 to iPad 3, there was a weight gain.  But it was minimized by some good engineering tricks by Apple.  Still, the iPad 3 and...
    But at least the two-year-old iPhone is still a very well-engineered device.  And the operating system is up-to-date.   If I had the choice of buying  a 2010 Porsche 911 new at 2/3 the original price, I'd much rather buy that than a current model Corvette.  But that's just me...
    Well, the factors that matter to most quality developers are things like 1) money spent on apps, 2) web usage, 3) buying things via the phone.  And on all these fronts, iPhone still trounces Android.  Overall marketshare--when much of that share is relatively poor people--matters little (notice, didn't say "none").   Apple needs simply to keep doing its best to attract those customers that are attractive to the developers.
    This view is as common as it is wrong.   If they put a retina display on the mini, it would have required a substantially bigger and (more importantly) heavier battery.  Yet the biggest benefit of the mini over the standard iPad is its incredible light weight...more than the smaller size (although that is nice as well).   I think the majority of iPad mini users would chose lighter weight over retina, even if price weren't a factor.  Sure, it will be nice to have...
"Yes, he did not say "cheaper". He said "cheap"!   I bet they can make a decent phone for $300 and make a hefty profit. Their margins are already excellent on their current iPhone 5.   They will have to have a "cheaper" phone to address most of the world that can't afford an expensive phone. And anyone is better off with expensive product."         Well, one big problem with your reasoning here is that $300 is far from inexpensive to the millions and...
Wonderfully stated.   I sure hope Apple does exactly what you're saying:  just keep making the best iDevices they can.  Don't worry about market share.  Let people who want cheap go to the multitude of suppliers of cheap.   I think they'll do fine with profits if they do that.  But even if for some reason their profits suffer because of that approach, so be it.  It's what makes Apple, Apple.
  Maybe...maybe in a side-by-side comparison the average user could discern a difference.   But probably not otherwise.    I use an iPad 3 extensively.  I am also keening interested in the iPad mini as I am an AAPL shareholder.  So last Saturday I was using my iPad 3 for a couple hours.  Then I happened to be near my local Apple store, so I stopped in to investigate the mini...in particular how it's reportedly "inferior" display would work out.   Well...I must say I...
Yet they're failing to address what may very well be the single biggest "display measurement' for tablet use:  aspect ratio.   For reading and web-browsing, as well as many apps, using the tablet in portrait mode is better, and a 4:3 aspect ratio is far superior.  There is a reason why throughout history, when people record written material, they have generally done so on a format that was longer than it was wide.   Look at the aspect ratio of a pad of paper or a...