or Connect

Posts by commoncents

I think they had a pilot program to deploy the Kindle Fire instead, since it was supposed to take over the tablet market. But then they decided they should wait instead for the Windows tablets to save the day.
Seriously, how frequent are emergencies during commercial flights? Guessing 1 in a 10,000,000? (There are roughly 10,000,000 flights annually in the U.S. Every several years one crashes. And maybe for every one that crashes, a couple others have a true emergency). And during those outrageously rare emergencies, what is the chance that passengers having iPads in use is going to drastically affect the outcome? I think the sensation of the plane in free fall would get...
The level of bigotry on this board is amazing, and disgusting. Wal-mart is the biggest retailer in the world. Why do you assume there is just one type of person who shops there? Besides the fact that you're a bigot?
I'm certain there were many who missed the intimacy and comfort of transport by horseback when cars came along. They got over it. You will too. Life moves on.
And who is the proper one to decide, you, or those who share your views?
In theory, with 4G speeds, just about everything could be kept in the cloud. The problem is the cost of data streaming. Just downloading a single movie from iTunes would use up your 2GB data plan costing $30/mo. I agree with the prior poster who says we'll see more local storage, not less. (Which is good for Apple shareholders, as Apple makes a good profit by selling more storage)
I think you are completely off base with this "analysis". Apple has both an enormously loyal customer base with industry-leading satisfaction rates, as well as a long and consistent history of steady product improvements. It is selling products with enormous market potential. The iPad is well on its way to becoming a gorilla (an enabling technology...iOS...with enormous market share and high switching costs). The growing ecosystem with iCloud seamlessly integrating...
It is not only ridiculous...it is absurd. But so is the growth in earnings that Apple has been accomplishing. Earnings have been accelerating. They roughly doubled over the past year; if they slow a bit...let's say to a 60% growth in earnings, and Apple starts to use it's outrageous cash hoard to retire a substantial number of shares, having the share price go up 70% from here over the next year would be expected. Ridiculous? Yes. To be expected? Yes.
I agree that the display, even if that was the only change, makes it worthwhile. For the display is the core of the whole tablet experience. I disagree with the magazine comparison. For resolution, yes. But having the image backlit and with better contrast, it will simply be the best image anyone has every seen in the world. Period.
Nothing is "free". However, I wouldn't be surprised if Nanny Government pays for it for "the needy", like they pay for cell phones (I think there's something in the Constitution that everyone has the right to 4G data). If you actually work for a living, you'll still be paying.