or Connect

Posts by commoncents

Of course they want to keep it proprietary. The only reason to not have it proprietary is when you can't get away with it (for example, if Google came out with GoogleAuthor for Android tablets, and it was proprietary, people would only laugh). Only by having it proprietary does it open the door for helping iPad get a strangehold on the tablet market, just as Windows/Office did with PC's. Without proprietary, you can't get there from here.
Breaking news: this software was created to facilitate authors producing content specifically for the iPad, in a proprietary manner, so as to help the iPad become the Gorilla of the tablet market. Your "hope" for something that makes it easier for you to use to organize thousands of pages of stuff for your own use had absolutely nothing to do with this project. Maybe someday someone will make an app for that, but to fault Apple for simply making as you say, "an awsome...
What in the world do you think Apple is "truly interested in"? Do you think this whole iBook Author project was just to sell more copies of Lion for $29.99? Doesn' t make much sense to me.
Well, as an Apple shareholder, I certainly hope they succeed in cementing iPad's position as the Gorilla of the tablet market, as well as iBooks/iBooks Atuhor as the Gorilla in the book publishing world. It would be Windows Desktop and Microsoft Office redux. I love it. But then combine that with iPhone and iCloud and Siri and iMac and iTV. Wow. You're right; maybe they will dominate the world.
I think maybe you're seeing this wrong (or are you defensive because you're a teacher?). It's not about the device changing students. The device is simply an enabler. It will enable all sorts of new and improved ways to stimulate students minds, and to enable students to become more active in seeking out information. But the whole thing will only be extraordinary if we have extraordinary innovators developing these new creative methods. I'm quite confident we can. ...
See what happens when you don't learn your math on the iPad!
Glad to hear it's working out so well for your sons. I think you're right: 20% is on the low side. The thing we need to realize is that with the whole iPad-revolutionizing-education game, we've had only one pitch. I truly believe this is going to be a radical game-changer in education. And we certainly need it. We're basically teaching our children with the same methods as a century (or more) ago. Hopefully this will be the spark to get innovators involved in shaking...
I really don't want to sound inappropriate but really it seems like no one is really looking at the entire scope of social evolution and possible division of classes here - we don't want to have a 2 class society, those with access to information and those without but this could lead to that if we as a whole society are not careful to include the least amongst us in this transformation... Yeah. Probably safer to just maintain the status quo, lest anyone be left...
"call me in a couple years when a few respected universities' schools of education have time to do a full random sample study with lots of controls and continued progress metrics...then I will buy it...a vendor white paper is just a sales flyer for people who really really like to read and dig into detail... I am not saying it cant improve outcomes, I am just saying that one vendor white paper on a product that until yesterday wasn't available outside their lab is...
The really depressing thing is that this idiot can get business people to listen to this quarter-witted crap. Don't be depressed. 1) Enjoy the superiority of Apple products, as a consumer. 2) Enjoy the returns of Apple as an investor. Eventually, Apple will have to deploy their historic, epic cash hoard for stock repurchases, and the lower the ill-informed keep the stock price, the more Apple will be able to repurchase. As Buffett has said, for the long-term...