or Connect

Posts by cyberoid

On my MBPs, too. Apple's apparently wrote time-tested behaviors out of System Preferences | TrackPad.   But Accessibility got back tap and drag.  Same for scrolling with inertia.  Why hide them there?   Question: who wants three- and four-finger anything?
  1440 x 900 is tiny.  On my current MacBook Pro, about 6 pt in Arial.  You think that's adequate?   Maybe if your eyesight is 40/20 or something like that.  Otherwise, it sucks.  Tiring to read.   And I do get it, profoundly.  (Been using Apple's since 1980.)  I'm still waiting to hear why this is a good idea, other than for graphics.
  That is totally unpromising.  My Mac isn't an iPhone and I don't care to use it like one.       He also wrote:     Fears are what they are.     Mine aren't yours, clearly.   All I know is that my Air is virtually unusable for certain text-based functions.  The text in a browser navigation bar is so tiny it's unreadable.   And yes, I can increase text size for individual pages.  But that's a hassle and not something I look forward to in a new machine.   The question was,...
Higher resolution without independent font control simply means more difficulty reading ever-smaller type.   Nice pictures, but a machine increasingly difficult to work with in non-visual terms. I.e., thinking.     Am I missing something?  Does this new MacBook Pro provide independent font control?     Should I replace my current MBP, assuming Apple provides a way to increase RAM.     Or will it be as uncomfortable to use as my MacBook Air?   (As for...
Higher resolution without independent font control simply means more difficulty reading ever-smaller type.   Nice pictures, but a machine increasingly difficult to work with in non-visual terms.   As for Mountain Lion -- let's just say its interface and new features had better be a hell of a lot better than Lion was or forget it.     I didn't buy a Mac to use an iPhone.
1. How does one invoke HiDPI? I need to see this for myself. No Air owner I know has detected a way to enlarge system type, only screen type -- and then only awkwardly, with multiple commands often for a single browser page, the entire barrage having to be repeated for each subsequent page. If that's what you mean, no, it's not a solution.2. You have to be kidding if you think these "100-new feature!" versions of Mac OSX made more compatible with iOS do more than (a)...
I'm all for the new MacBook Pros, having now owned simultaneously a Pro and and Air and wished for the longest time I could combine their features. Hooray that Apple is doing so. My only concerns are two: 1. Will Apple's new machines permit users to autonomously set the size of system typefaces? I'm sitting here at my Air and swear the type is no more than 4 points large, which means I have to put on my reading glasses and turn up the brightness to max. 2. For...
This is a topic worthy for separate consideration on AI or somewhere: what is "serious computing" now and what will it be in five years? At root is the definition of computing, whether writing code is computing, whether popping an app icon is computing, whether watching a TV show via Apple TV is computing, or whether computing is -- and this is the definition I prefer -- being able to use a computer to characterize, deconstruct, and solve a problem that hasn't been...
I thought your comments regarding Lion as a sparkling example of bad interface design and the tendency to surrender our computing habits to mobility habits -- as if all most of us did was email and videos, on the road -- to be right on.Ultimately, Mountain Lion and its ilk may one day be remembered as the beginning of the end for Apple as a serious computing company, i.e., a company that enabled its customers to do computing, to be creative, not merely one that served only...
Wishful thinking. It goes against market logic, which calls the shots at Apple now that its shareholders far more than its engineers or customers are its primary focus. I wonder on which side Steve Jobs would be found, were he still with us. But it no longer matters.