or Connect

Posts by macFanDave

Good, 'cause iWork sucks! Pages and Keynote may be great, but what sucks about it is what it is NOT! iWork is supposed to be AppleWorks for OS X, as far as I am concerned. Until it becomes an integrated word processor/spreadsheet/database/painting/drawing/presentation package, I'm not interested. I've been able to do great things with AppleWorks and seeing the possibilities of what it could do if it were integrated with Address Book, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Mail and so...
I want a Home Page template that lets you display photos and lets the viewers buy prints of the ones they like.
This is a dumb move. 1. The people that are hurt the most are the authors and these guys are themselves icons in the Mac world. 2. Actually, if you buy a "for Dummies" book at an Apple Store, you might not have the minimum mental acuity of the target audience. They sell books at list price! You should be able to get the book much cheaper elsewhere. It's hard to believe that the volume of books that Apple stores sells is anything more than tiny. 3. For the...
One aspect of the iPod boom that is not emphasized enough, as far as I'm concerned, is the market for accessories. I've had my own iPod for only a week and I've already spent $45 for extras. I got a cheap cassette adapter and an armband. Before that I had been sharing my daughter's iPod mini with her and found it necessary to buy EarJams and a RadioShark, that's another $85. The thing is that the markup on accessories is astounding and Apple would be wise to play...
10% of the retail price is WAY too much. A more rational model would be a fee that would be related to the complexity of the accessory. An iPod skin would hardly cost anything for Apple to examine at verify that it does what is advertised so that would be a very low fee. An external speaker system would require a lot more advanced testing so it would have a commensurately higher fee. After that, it should just have a nominal royalty per unit. Remember, FireWire...
If anyone can stop the greedy bastards from gouging the listening public, it is Steve Jobs. He has a lot of credibility in the industry. He created the first (if not the only) viable legal digital music distribution business model. Many of the competitors like Dell, Wal-mart and Sony can cook the books so they can avoid revealing how poorly they are doing with their attempts to compete with the iPod/iTMS juggernaut. Also, as CEO of Pixar, Jobs is a full-time...
For people who use their iPod Photo JUST for listening to music and storing photos, the USB2 vs FireWire issue is just an irritant. Now if you realize that the iPod is also a FireWire hard drive, its potential uses increase rapidly. For instance, you can put OS X on your iPod along with some utilities and it becomes a handy tool for maintaining, diagnosing and fixing your and your friends' Macs. You CAN boot using FireWire, but on USB2 you are SOL. (For whatever...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I bought an Epson printer with a FireWire 400 connection two years ago and I bought an $80 UMAX 6400 FW400 scanner about 5 years ago. I think the printer connector is hilarious. The limiting factor isn't the data transfer rate fromthe computer to the printer, it is the speed by which the drops of ink can be sprayed onto the paper. Putting FireWire on a printer is like taking a golf cart to the Indy Speedway. Let me ask you, does your hard...
I'm glad you caught that, too, even though you've got it a bit wrong (FireWire is an add-on option). FireWire may eventually go as an awesome technology that didn't succeed because of marketing factors. There are not enough devices that take advantage of the available bus power and not enough that are configured to be daisy chained. FireWire should be the dominant transfer protocol not only because of its superior real-world speeds, but also because of the added benefits...
That's "good evening" in French. To be complete, "good night" is "bonne nuit." Now, what my wife tells me at night is, "No."