or Connect

Posts by Spacepower

There are usually license fees associated with hardware accelerated decoding chips/graphic processors in iOS devices and Macs.If I recall, when Apple first started using MPEG 4 (h.264 video and m4a and m4p in iTunes) they had to pay a $1 license fee for each device or a capped $6 million. The was when the iTunes Store started selling music and QuickTime started playing back h.264. I think the deal was announced in 2003.Another interesting thing is that Moto is NOT suing...
I guess that you never read that Maps apps, regardless of who makes them, NEED user interaction in order to improve. Google has a 10 year head start, 5 years on iOS, with all the data that they have collected.No Map app is going to reach Google's level of expertise, if people don't use them. So as user, if you like competition to force Map app makers to improve, please try various Map apps.BTWDid you you miss the 680x0 to PowerPC transition, where it took time for many app...
I like your middle of the road take, bc it can definitely come down either way.Couple of things to note:All Apple vs HTC vs Apple federal court cases were either stayed or in limbo.Apple won some ITC (different rules than federal courts) against HTC in 2011. Both had other pending ITC cases against each other but the withdrew and settled.Samsung decided not to take a admittedly pricey license to Apple IP, and dragged the situation through lengthy federal court (2 years)...
If IMEI numbers are anything to go by???? I got my iPhone 5 at the end of September, after the first 5 million iPhone 5's were sold. Assuming! that Apple has a huge batch of IMEI #s and that they are sold and distributed sequentially. The difference between the IMEI of my iPhone 5 and my brother's iPhone 5 purchased at Apple retail this week is about 9.8 million. If the previous assumptions are valid, that means that Apple has already sold close to 15 million iPhone...
This article is a little misleading. From my understanding, neither Moto or Samsung are suing Apple over video patents. From what I have read, Moto is suing MS over a small fragment of h.264 patented tech which related to the use of interlaced video in h.264 mp4 formats. Apple's use of h.264 is all progressive video not interlaced, from my understanding.
The last paragraph you wrote is interesting. I wonder how Google justifies their new Nexus devices going to LG and Samsung when they worked closely with Moto (pre-acquisition) on the Moto Xoom, the flagship Honeycomb tablet.Google now has a problem as a hardware maker. They have to keep LG, HTC and Samsung happy, at the cost of pissing off their own Moto engineers, in order to keep them from focusing solely, or majorly, on Windows 8 phones. All those OEMs already pay MS...
The problem in the tablet market is the Amazon and now Google "race to the bottom" pricing. Those two companies have other revenue streams to monetize "at cost" tablet sales.Asus, Acer, HTC, etc.. Don't have alternate revenue streams in this "new" market of tablets. These OEMs are never going to see the profit margins that Dell, HP, Compaq,Gateway etc... used to see in the 1990s-2008.The tablet market just started and we're already at the netbook stage. This means most of...
I guess you didn't know that the use of "Apple" was a homage to Isaac Newton's story of the apple falling from a tree which inspired Newton to study gravity.
Hmmm an analyst rumors on a not yet shipping product, 2 days before quarterly earnings press meetings. Sounds suspect, trying to manipulate the stock market for his paid clients who shorted the stock. The Apple quarterly earnings won't be "great" but many Mac purchases were postponed for the updates and the iPhone 5 was only available for a short time and demand outweighs supply ( which isn't a bad thing ) I'm looking forward to the Calendar Q4 Apple sales VS HP, the...
So I can save 5-10-15-20 bucks on a cable that might potentially frie my new phone or iPad? The potential for disaster will far out weigh any cost savings. Just driving to the Apple store for a replacement would negate the cost savings, let alone waiting. I'm all for cheap alternatives, but I'll wait a few months for a company guaranteeing their products