or Connect

Posts by Spacepower

I prefer to read all sources too.As for the FOSS link, it's an article somewhere on the blog where he criticizes Nokia. He mentions watching live internet streaming of the UN ITU open sessions and then rightfully complains that the ITU was holding a day or 2 of closed doors sessions. Those close door sessions favored private companies rather than the world population, which the UN ITU is supposed represent.I'll post again on the Moto FRAND arguement but their first 2.4%...
These patent invalidations won't affect the current case finalizing before judge Koh, unless they are final invalidations. I forget the status '381 patent but the '949 won't be totally invalidated or validated until after Koh makes her final decisions. So it seems that this won't have an effect until the appeal.It will be interesting to see if Apple and Samsung settle before an appeal, or if they appeal this and keep the second AppleVSSamsung 2013 trial on track.Judge Koh...
Preliminary should be in the headline
I think Sony lost/losing in TVs for several reasons. Up until recent SmartTVs, the HDTV was a simple monitor. The TV companies weren't adding much value each year while pricing kept declining. Sony kept premium pricing while their HDTVs didn't offer an extra value for the average consumer.The HDTV became a simple monitor, similar to its role on computers. The real value is from the media content and other services that could be used via the display/HDTV. The HDTV value...
I rI remember back in the day 15" and smaller Triniton tubes had one line and 17" and larger screens had 2 lines. Sony said it something to do with electron gun tracking and on screen display accuracy.Tubegate was a bigger deal since the government got involved. I remember buying a 17" NEC CRT for a premium over the 15" CRTs. Then I realized that 17" NEC CRT only had a 15.x" display. Part of the 17 inches were behind the plastic. I returned that display right away and got...
I think you missed some Fosspatents posts, bc he did call out Nokia for their stance at the ITU.Also many of the documents between Nokia and Apple were never made public. They never went to trial so I assume Apple got a deal that they could live with, rather than drawn out litigation and uncertainty.Samsung VS Ericsson. I didn't read it like Ericsson was getting a pass, more like Samsung was being a hypocrit, but he didn't support SEP injunctions for either. If Samsung...
I laugh at you for thinking that any intelligent discourse will happen at any tech website. They all have bias, how much is another question. Only read and respond to those that you view intelligent enough to correspond with
Since The ARM chips Samsung makes for other Android OEMS are basic standard models that anyone can buy or make, why would Android OEMs get "better" chips.Apple has been customizing their ARM chips because they have a special license that allows them to do that. HTC and other OEMs have to buy whatever Samsung or TSMC makes.If you read Anandtech, you'll see that Apple has the "better chips" and can make them with whatever foundrys they choose.The Downside for android OEMs...
There are usually license fees associated with hardware accelerated decoding chips/graphic processors in iOS devices and Macs.If I recall, when Apple first started using MPEG 4 (h.264 video and m4a and m4p in iTunes) they had to pay a $1 license fee for each device or a capped $6 million. The was when the iTunes Store started selling music and QuickTime started playing back h.264. I think the deal was announced in 2003.Another interesting thing is that Moto is NOT suing...
I guess that you never read that Maps apps, regardless of who makes them, NEED user interaction in order to improve. Google has a 10 year head start, 5 years on iOS, with all the data that they have collected.No Map app is going to reach Google's level of expertise, if people don't use them. So as user, if you like competition to force Map app makers to improve, please try various Map apps.BTWDid you you miss the 680x0 to PowerPC transition, where it took time for many app...