or Connect

Posts by Macnewsjunkie

I think you are looking at the Chinese long game in negotiations. The strength of their system is the very long view of politics. China needed the west to avoid a soviet style collapse. Such a collapse would have been an apocalypse of the first order. 100's of millions of people would die and the long term consequence would all be bad. The idea that the tail in Hong Kong could wag the tiger is silly on the face of it. What we are betting on is a slow cultural...
Steve would not do this given old tech limits. There may be a touch pad box and full OS X access. Imagine how haptic feedback would change the design parameters.
I want the Federal government to step in when the local politicians are bought up by utilities to create local monopolies.  That is what this is about.  In several states, like North Carolina, it is illegal for a town to offer network access as a municipal service.  This was done by Cable company lobbiest's to keep the prices for their service high and restrict competition.     In Davidson NC, the town offered a low cost high speed internet utility which was particually...
The most cool thing about the new Apple Space ship campus is the fact that it is designed to move. Sure it is only supposed to move 4.5 feet in any direction, but all those orange colored squares early in the over fly of the central building are huge ball bearings designed to allow the building to move in the event of an earthquake. No this is not a star ship Enterprise, but damn it is still cool. Those preformed pieces of concrete that are being placed over the ball...
I would agree with what you are saying if this was due to market in 6 months.  Otherwise, given the slope of battery technology improvement and the obvious economic benefits from improved batteries, I would estimate that in 5 years electric cars will begin to replace gasoline cars.  Self driving cars will be an enormous economic benefit.   The funny part here is Mr Musk must have been very convincing when he tried to get Apple to invest in the battery part of his...
Imagine a 50% reduction in insurance costs, time to do work on your commute, or play games, or read a book.  The average American has what a 30 minute commute?  Twice a day, times 5 to 10 times a week.  This adds up to some serious hours of productivity.  Sure I can imagine older Americans not wanting to do this.  Everyone under the age of 30 or interested in saving money and time will look seriously at this option.  
This will cost Apple money from interest and arbitrage because the payments made in Swiss Francs will cost more to redeem if the payments are made in Dollars. Over time the Swiss Franc is expected to continue to strengthen against the Dollar. I guess if Apple already earns enough to pay this from income in the Swiss Franc it will be a moot point, but it does still potentially have a higher opportunity cost than debt denominated in Dollars.
One feature of the building that needs more reporting is the isolation system that will protect the building from earthquake damage. There are 700 1600 lb ball earrings under the building which are designed to allow the building to move 4.5 feet in any direction without sustaining major damage. It looks like a space ship because it is designed to be moved.😄. Combined with the power generation systems the Apple Campus might be the best place to manage the disaster...
The tax rate Apple has favored is 6.5% of funds repatriated. I would be satisfied with ten percent with minor requirements that the funds not be used in executive compensation. The other shoe that is about to drop is the European Union trying to claw back unpaid taxes. Between the two Apple could be looking at a $20-30 billion liability. I would be more upset about that if this was any other company. For Apple that could be less than :D2 quarters in earnings.
I am sure that Apple is a good investment right now.  Mainly  because they are the only market entrant who has a product that they control all the components of.  Intel and Microsoft have already gone separate ways so now there is no one else with this scale and control. The Chinese competitors are much more of a competitor then anyone else and they are dependent on Google for their platform.     The Apple watch is just more of the same magic.  Control the product, the...