or Connect

Posts by Macnewsjunkie

Even Congress is beholden to the income of top corporations. Letting the government see their data was probably just fine when it did not hurt their bottom lines and everybody was having to do it. This is no longer the case so they are expecting a much stronger privacy screen from the government while they are still going to be allowed to collect all the data they want on "their" customers. Amazon not being on this list probably shows how serious they are about directly...
GQB I think you are on to something. It certainly fits the profile of a company that uses it's cache with Wall Street to sell at a break even price. There is not much profit motive left if someone becomes more efficient then Amazon. Amazon knows they are the big dog and don't want competition. Hammering suppliers is the first sign of a monopoly. I can definitely imagine Mr Bezo's asking for 90 days to pay for supplies sold in 5 days. That doesn't sound like such a...
Can someone find a way to automate online ID and password production, and replacement? All I want to do is simply be myself in my browser and occasionally be asked whether I want privacy with this web site or that comment. It is not an easy problem to crack, but replacing ID and passwords because someone else was sloppy is pretty aggravating.
You got to admit DED is the best anti-Google writer on the internet. He makes a great point about Google's hypocrisy. Google seems to see its mission to make all the data free. The problem with that mission is the lack of legal right to do so. If no one can make money writing music, software, building new machines, and writing new books, then who is going to bother to innovate? This is the ignored Evil of pagerank. Sell access to someone elses idea and wash your...
If part of the savings for Apple is the reduction in how much taxes they are not paying to repatriate money to the US, then I don't think this valuation holds water. If they are using the top marginal tax rate of 35%, then about $1.26 Billion is the savings from $3.6 billion. This is not the same deal as the linked article about foreign purchases that notes the valuations for tech are much lower outside of Silicon Valley. This is a high value purchase price. It does...
No I am not an attorney, and I relying own my own fallible memory of second hand accounts of this case. Still it sounds like you got angry and all I did was give a simple opinion. Believe what you want, but this case is not going to end this easily. $300 million split between 5 plaintiffs isn't enough to even mitigate this kind of behavior. Apple alone could have saved more then $300 million over the span of this agreement. 4 year times 30,000 employees earning an...
I like Apple's products, but nothing from this case supports such a low cost settlement. The lawyers got a $75 million payday for minimal work and possibly promise of access to the corporate work of these large companies. If the suit had actually involved just ending head hunting of each others employees it would have been at least less sleazy. The final result of this was a freeze on hiring each others employees. That is much less acceptable and should be punished.
This is clearly a problem for Apple. The iPhone may well have been built smaller because Jony Ive prefers smaller designs. The fact is the customers need bigger screens for aging eyes and Samsung has a grip around the best supply of screens in the world. Apple really needs to get a good supplier for screens that is not Samsung. This would be my number one priority if I were the CEO. Relying on Samsung will always make it possible for them to undercut you after each...
This is a response to the quote describing Gatorguy as a better user of grammar then another newer commenter.
And generally not a bad antagonist.  He is honest in his views and consistent with his criticism.  This is a better board with his additions.