or Connect

Posts by Macnewsjunkie

You got to admit DED is the best anti-Google writer on the internet. He makes a great point about Google's hypocrisy. Google seems to see its mission to make all the data free. The problem with that mission is the lack of legal right to do so. If no one can make money writing music, software, building new machines, and writing new books, then who is going to bother to innovate? This is the ignored Evil of pagerank. Sell access to someone elses idea and wash your...
If part of the savings for Apple is the reduction in how much taxes they are not paying to repatriate money to the US, then I don't think this valuation holds water. If they are using the top marginal tax rate of 35%, then about $1.26 Billion is the savings from $3.6 billion. This is not the same deal as the linked article about foreign purchases that notes the valuations for tech are much lower outside of Silicon Valley. This is a high value purchase price. It does...
No I am not an attorney, and I relying own my own fallible memory of second hand accounts of this case. Still it sounds like you got angry and all I did was give a simple opinion. Believe what you want, but this case is not going to end this easily. $300 million split between 5 plaintiffs isn't enough to even mitigate this kind of behavior. Apple alone could have saved more then $300 million over the span of this agreement. 4 year times 30,000 employees earning an...
I like Apple's products, but nothing from this case supports such a low cost settlement. The lawyers got a $75 million payday for minimal work and possibly promise of access to the corporate work of these large companies. If the suit had actually involved just ending head hunting of each others employees it would have been at least less sleazy. The final result of this was a freeze on hiring each others employees. That is much less acceptable and should be punished.
This is clearly a problem for Apple. The iPhone may well have been built smaller because Jony Ive prefers smaller designs. The fact is the customers need bigger screens for aging eyes and Samsung has a grip around the best supply of screens in the world. Apple really needs to get a good supplier for screens that is not Samsung. This would be my number one priority if I were the CEO. Relying on Samsung will always make it possible for them to undercut you after each...
This is a response to the quote describing Gatorguy as a better user of grammar then another newer commenter.
And generally not a bad antagonist.  He is honest in his views and consistent with his criticism.  This is a better board with his additions.
Sog35, I sometimes wonder if that is how all of us can afford Apple's products.
Apple applied for data detecters in 1999. Many of their patents are based on computer usage and became applied to cell phones when the iPhone was introduced. Apple will lose patents to time limits, but that is god. Serial innovators gain inceasing advantage over time. Dont sweat the small stuff, and keep working hard to make the next product. Apple wont make the mistake of releasing a product before it iis ready. That way there is less time to copy it before it can...
I wouldn't put your hopes on anything more than a weak version of 3. Apple has the IP, but juries are notorious in these cases as being not much better than a flip of the coin. I think you can expect Apple to lose this case on some level. The really interesting possibilities for Apple are based upon what they announce in June. Serial Innovation becomes more and more difficult to copy. Even if Apple only fights Samsung to a standstill on the prior theft of IP, if they...