or Connect

Posts by Macnewsjunkie

Lost in all the talk about the iPhone 5c's lack of appeal on the street was the question of why Apple needed a new phone like the 5c? I think it was an attempt to break a production log jam that would have occurred if the 5s and the 5 were made at the same time. I believe Apple needs a simplier phone for it's second tier phone. The ramp up for the new model iPhone is the largest industrial production ramp in the world if you think about it. They are expecting to go...
Prescott was at 3.6 Ghz.  Not 2.5, but the point remains.  That was 2003 and now it is 2014.  That was the 90 nm node and we are waiting on the 14nm node and the chips will not be faster, they will simply use less power so they can run at higher frequencies for longer periods of time.  There have been marginal improvements, but the last new chip from intel gave us an average of 10% faster performance by some measures.  Show me a stock Intel chip that ships with the peta...
The answer is 0 if the market you are selling to has not been addressed yet by Microsoft.  I would guess that this is the same price Microsoft is getting for Android on ARM.  This move is actually the first real breath of air back into the Wintel partnership which used to own technology, but missed the shift to mobile due to arrogance rather than good business sense.  Marginal costs on software are always zero.  This does not mean that replacement costs are zero, but given...
I would say that they finally have someone who has enough humility to honestly attack their problems head on.  It says something that it took firing the last CEO jus to get to the point where they are immediately responding to market forces.  Apples change from a has been to the largest company in the world was driven by a ruthless blood letting that killed all that was still good about the old Apple so the new Apple would have the resources to build better products....
Apples eco system is vertical not horizontal. This means Apple is not under the pressures you are describing. Apple learned a long time ago what it takes to keep a platform running. You might as well try to teach an alligator to bite better. Apples is in a dream sitution. Most of Wall St is so besotted by their egos, they can't see how to do the obvious and take the sure bet. If the obvious answer is true, then they have no way of justfying their ridiculous margins. ...
Why is there so little respect for the rule of law in this comment section? Apple 2.0 had already reported that the judges questions made it sound like they were going to limit the scope of Bromwich's requests not his existence as a special prosecutor.. This is the logical thing to do. Wasting Mr Ive's and Mr Cook's time is at least 2 orders of magnitude more expensive than paying Mr Bromwich's hourly rate. Apple got what they really needed from the court. The other...
The number that I was surprised by was the cash flow. I was unaware of the specific definition for that and looked it up. This is the total earnings plus expenses such as depreciation that are taken out as expenses. I think this is a better measure of Apple's income given how conservative they are about paying down and writing off expenses. Remember the whole software expense write off? Apple has a 26% marginal tax rate. Any cash flow that can become an expense is...
The really important thing to remember about Steve Jobs and Apple is the strategic importance of destroying your own best products. The secret that Apple carries is this willingness. The number of innovative products that Apple has made obsolete is the real legacy of the company. Some people may buy Apple computers, but they are nothing more than an important hobby for this company. The Mac is a legacy that Apple is willing to let go of in search of how to make a better...
All I really want to see out of Apple over the next 5 years is 15-20% growth. Consistent growth is Apples current challenge. I would expect no more from Apple than this mainly because they remain supply constrained. Supplying the market with 200 million devices a quarter is no small challenge and that is what they will be looking at if they succeed. Their bank account will be just silly by then. Hopefully, by then interest rates will have grown to 3-4% and the interest...
I hope Apple wins this, not because I want to spend more to buy books. I simply don't want a company that has no profit motive, Amazon, to put people out of business who do have one. I don't hate Amazon, but clearly they are using predatory pricing, by selling goods below their own wholesale cost. The cost of e-commerce that is involved is not even included in this effort. They are trying to put all other book sellers out of business. That is bad for everyone: Buyers...