or Connect

Posts by Macnewsjunkie

The really important thing to remember about Steve Jobs and Apple is the strategic importance of destroying your own best products. The secret that Apple carries is this willingness. The number of innovative products that Apple has made obsolete is the real legacy of the company. Some people may buy Apple computers, but they are nothing more than an important hobby for this company. The Mac is a legacy that Apple is willing to let go of in search of how to make a better...
All I really want to see out of Apple over the next 5 years is 15-20% growth. Consistent growth is Apples current challenge. I would expect no more from Apple than this mainly because they remain supply constrained. Supplying the market with 200 million devices a quarter is no small challenge and that is what they will be looking at if they succeed. Their bank account will be just silly by then. Hopefully, by then interest rates will have grown to 3-4% and the interest...
I hope Apple wins this, not because I want to spend more to buy books. I simply don't want a company that has no profit motive, Amazon, to put people out of business who do have one. I don't hate Amazon, but clearly they are using predatory pricing, by selling goods below their own wholesale cost. The cost of e-commerce that is involved is not even included in this effort. They are trying to put all other book sellers out of business. That is bad for everyone: Buyers...
I would expect that Apple would stock at least 30 units per store. That would be over 12,000 machines to stock their stores. In high volume stores which Apple has quite a few of, the total could come to 50 machines per store. One other problem that is not mentioned here, but having space to securely store 30 machines may be a pretty big problem in some of these stores. It would not be politic for Apple to start stocking their own stores before any of the Authorized...
I can tell you from personal experience who is getting Chromebooks. It is parents for their children who need a computer and do not have the money for 4 macbook pros. My daughter received a $200 Acer Chromebook. Students need a keyboard to learn typing, simple word processing and netflix. The Chromebook is locked down so updates only happen on auto. This was a problem because Netflix required the beta channel to work. It took me over an hour to find the suggestion on...
As long as the pe remains below 15 it is attractive. I would never want to jiggle the hand on the wheel when so much is going right. Apple shareholders of over 10 years have every reason to expect the price to drop by half on a regular basis. This company innovates. They need the cash to make the way smooth when they are pushing a new product out that literally billions of people will buy. Supply chain control reguires cash and guts. The innovation causes cash flow...
I didn't say that your lack of software ownership was the right situation.  I agree that it is nothing more than leaving control of your property with the seller after the sale.  It is not the way the laws in this country should be written, but is the way they currently stand.
The problem with saying jailbreaking has nothing to do with stealing is human nature. All locking a phone does is put up a virtual wall between the customer and the merchandise. Yes this means that certain products cannot be added to the phone that in other situations would be very useful for the customer to obtain that software. This does not mean that you have a natural right to jailbreak your phone. You can't force Walmart to carry products that it deems...
You also garnish wages and trust me if it happens to you then you will realize that garnish has a second meaning: "to take without consent".
Standards Essential Patents or SEP's are also regularly filed for by the members of the committee that chooses the standards. Many are filed for immediately after the committee commits to one standard over another. They are a necessary part of making machines interoprable not necessarily very innovative at all. As current law has evolved, SEP's have become a less powerful lever to force cross licensing, and the encumbent companies who thought they had created a barrier...