or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Except odds are they made much more than 1.09 times the profit of the rest of the market.  Indeed it does seem as though they're trying to allocate 109% of the proverbial pie to Apple/Samsung...
 Spec list is likely the closest we can come, since some manufacturers sell at a loss (Google Nexus on the Play Store), and some sell at a huge margin (Apple).  I'd prefer to define it as the component cost, but those numbers aren't always available, and you can approximate it by comparing spec sheets. 
Microsoft obviously sucks at marketing.  Their surface ads suck, and they've done a terrible job at marketing the Xbox One (they're pretty much giving a majority market share to Sony).     Excel can obviously add up the numbers correctly, the error is due to human error.  I personally prefer other spreadsheets (Gnumeric is better for actual number crunching), but this entire article is silly.  
 I don't know the last time you went shopping, but the mid-range is rather small, at least in the West.  High end phones are so subsidized that mid-range phones hardly make sense, and their presence in the market is minimal.  Non-subsidized 'high-end' Android phones can be had for $350 (Nexus 5) to $500 (multiple Chinese phones).  
 Does the article say that's the cut off point for low to high end?  Furthermore, the ASPs in the article are the prices the manufacturer receives, not the retail prices.   Android manufacturers take less profit than Apple as well (due to more competition in the space), so that drives ASPs down.  A high-end Android phone can have an ASP of $350-500 (Nexus 5 has high end specs but Google sells for only $350), whereas low-end Android phones drive the average down due to...
So I just picked up my wife's new iPhone 5S, and helped her set it up.  A few impressions:   - Very nice design and construction - iOS 7 very pretty, easily best looking interface - Very fast   However, there were a few hiccups along the way that I didn't expect from Apple while setting up the phone.   Need an App Store account to download free apps.  Why?  Makes no sense.  Furthermore, why does it want payment infomation (address, name, phone number, etc...) when...
Doing some quick math, that means high end Androids make up 34% of their 81% market share, or 27.5% of the overall market...  Still higher than iOS.
First, Chinese carriers don't subsidize phones. The 5c is priced around 750 US dollars in China. You can get a high end Lenovo or Xiaomi phone (with bigger screens, and taylor made for the Chinese audience) for around 400. This is the problem. In developed markets, the 5c will merely cannibalize the 5s' sales. This is why AAPL is down...
 Android's open-ness means that OEMs have the right to install proprietary apps and interfaces on Android... Of course, it would be nice if Samsung made some of their apps available on the Play store...
The real dilemma is that if Assad falls, every minority in Syria is going to be slaughtered.  Alawites, Shiites, Christians - will all be targeted if the rebels (many of whom are extremists, including Al Qaeda fighters) win...     We've already seen this in Egypt, where the MB tolerated and subtly encouraged violence against Coptic Christians, and it could have been much worse if not for the army...  In Syria, if Assad and the army falls, there will be no one to protect...