or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Alien Dalvik and other ports of the Dalvik VM enables most Android apps to run on Meego, Maemo, BlackBerry OS 10, iOS (yes, you can run Android apps on Apple devices if you're jailbroken and install Alien Dalvik), etc...  So running Android apps on Tizen shouldn't be a problem...
And just now Google/Motorola announced a new smartphone running Android.  So much for them ditching it.     The real reason Chromecast isn't running Android - on a low power streaming device, they don't need to.  A Linux kernel, their C library and a few random bits is all they need - putting Dalvik on the device would be serious overkill.  It's as simple as that.
  Nokia knows this.  Which is why it doesn't actually capture 41 MP pictures, it uses some sort of sensor magic to take better photos at regular resolutions (8MP, 12MP, etc...).  
  Nokia's Meego OS on the short-lived N9 was very good.  In fact, the start-up Jolla is basically just a bunch of disgruntled ex-Nokia employees who continued with Meego, calling it Sailfish OS now.     Nokia's hardware is good, Symbian was good for it's time, Meego is good, they just made a terrible decision hiring Elop.  They should have either continued with Meego or switched to Android, they could have done well.  Instead they put their faith in Microsoft...
  The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.  
  For everything Google has failed at, they've succeeded at alot more.  Maps, Documents, Android, Cloud services, advertising, search are all successes.  The self-driving cars are probably still years away, but the prototypes have been mostly successful.  Google gets away with all this because of their approach - they advise users of the 'beta' status of things, people get used to their experimentation, and because most of their services are free users can forgive the...
  No, I thought Google owns the world.  Since I'm visiting this website in Chrome, Google owns my ThinkPad too...  They own the Linux kernel too, right?
  Nope.  If you read Apple's quarterly statements and the 'fine print', they consider a sale to be at the point when the product is shipped.  The same as every other hardware company, but with more ambiguous wording...
  Really?  Lenovo, Dell and HP all offer accidental damage coverage...  I'm surprised Apple doesn't provide this option on MacBooks.
I think Glass is too much for a consumer product.   However, there are alot of potential professional applications for this sort of thing.  Imagine a construction or factory worker being able to superimpose blueprints or instructions on the material he's actually working on, and record incidents at work?  Not to mention, the technology is transferable to HUDs of all types, and the miniaturization techniques are transferable to phones.     Projects like Glass and...