or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Seeing as how every tab in Chrome is sand-boxed, that arbitrary code can't be run on Chrome OS, and that to install anything natively on the machine you need to switch it to dev mode and go through an entire process in itself...,  I'd say Chrome OS is going to be pretty secure...  
  KDE has UI scaling....  Gnome doesn't however (what the reviewer was using).
Install SUSE or Ubuntu and you have a serious machine...     But yes, as of right now, the Chromebook pixel isn't a mainstream competitor.  Just a toy for Google fans, and a cool laptop for developers...   If they upped the hard drive to 128-256 GB I'd buy one and install a real distro on it (right now have a Thinkpad with Ubuntu)...
  The only danger they talk about is fake websites stealing info from dumb users, not any virus actually running code on your computer.  The only way to avoid phishing is by not being stupid, there's no software to help with that..
  KDE can scale quite well, and I've heard of a few people running SUSE w/ KDE on Retina Macbooks.     Ubuntu is going to switch their entire DE from being Compiz and GTK based to being based on Qt 5, and sharing code with their mobile OS, so I would definitely think they're going to take scalability into account.  It's still a few releases away though.  
You actually can create native-code apps for Google Chrome.  Install Chrome and then play the game "From Dust" in your browser to check it out...     That being said, the Chromebook would still be much more useful if you just installed a real Linux OS on it or something...
Everything runs better on anything that's not Windows...   Valve's titles run much better on Linux too.  And I know Nvidia's Linux drivers support OpenGL 4.3, though Intel and AMD's drivers may be a bit behind...
  It comes down to incumbants vs. disruptive technology.  Intel, Apple and Microsoft are the old guard.  They've been around for decades.  Now Google, Qualcomm, and the ARM/Android ecosystem is looking to replace the 'old guard'.  So the big incumbants are simply trying to guard their position. 
Download the Android SDK and Eclipse bundle...  Play around with it yourself, and you'll see.     Competent developers of course will create all their graphics in vector formats, then export to high-res bitmaps...  It's really not that difficult.     Also, you can target only 1080p, 720p, qHD and 480p and cover just about the whole Android range.  All recent and upcoming flagships are 1080p or 720p.  Android tools make it fairly easy, and developers should have...
  It's partly true.  Except that it's only found on iPhone and Apple products.  HTC, LG and Sony all have true, full 1080p HD, full RGB pixel 400+ dpi displays on their new flagships...