or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Is this a joke?  Nexus branded devices (aka. the 'pure' Google devices) get updated to every new OS version when it's released.     It's only the OEM modded models that have delayed OS updates...  
R and RStudio work on OSX, don't they?     http://www.rstudio.com/ide/   RStudio has a web version too.     And the Julia Language is an interesting project, though not very mature yet...
  There is a solution - tell people to eat less shitty food, and drink less sugary beverages.  And while they're at it, teach them what a raw vegetable looks like, how to cook it, and why it's better than a battered, fried, frozen piece of shit that fat people seemingly love to eat.     You can't blame industry, they respond to demand.  Blame people who are too stupid to take proper care of themselves...
If you don't understand why Apple is down, then you shouldn't be in the stock market.     Valuations matter, growth matters, dividends matter, etc...  Last quarter's profits - don't matter.  Stock markets look ahead, not behind.   And stock price is a reflection of value, not performance.  Stocks, by their very nature, can't go up forever.  A company has a dollar value, and it can never be infinite...     It's clear that most on this forum don't understand...
  Google's revenue was up 31% year over year, and profits up 11%.  Despite all those woes you listed, Google is still growing quite quickly.     Not perfect, but pretty damn good.  Just because you don't understand finance doesn't mean those smarter than you are 'criminals'...  
  A limited platform has many advantages - ease of maintenance and updating, security, and speed.  Chrome OS is a great example, it's proven to be pretty much unhackable.     For developers concerned about proprietary code, a trick many web developers use is to keep the application logic on the server, and simply pass messages to the browser client.  Piracy is a problem with compiled binaries, in many ways web services are better, especially if you're smart about things....
Another reason I try to avoid Samsung products.  I'd rather buy Intel, Lenovo, HTC, Panasonic, Electrolux, etc...
Would also like to add, I'd consider buying a developer device if the price is right.  If I can buy one for 100-200 bucks outright, I'd give it a shot.
This is stupid.     This situation came up today, and made me think of this.  If I'm on Google's search engine (at www.google.com), and I search for 'Books', and I don't live under a rock, I'll expect Google to take me to their 'Books' service - it makes logical sense.  Now, it's the top result, as it should be, and Amazon, Chapters, and other vendors come up immediately below them.  Why shouldn't Google Books be on top on Google.com?     People can always use...
I think it's the future, but that the HTML5 ecosystem isn't 100% mature.     Chrome OS has laid a great foundation, especially with Google's NaCl runtime (can run native compiled apps in browser).  Firefox OS doesn't have that native runtime, but HTML5 is more than fast enough for native-performance.  It's up to the app makers to come through, but Firefox OS does have the ability to cache web apps for offline usage.     I think Firefox OS, with the right...