or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Opera is moving to Blink.  They're sticking with Chromium's stack (Webkit/Blink, V8, etc...).
  The difference is mostly in the licensing.  Enough of Webkit is GPL'd that we'll always have access to the core of it.    Everything that makes Android what it is, is Apache licensed (not a copyleft license), so Amazon and Facebook can essentially turn it into a proprietary OS, with proprietary hardware drivers and such.    Browsers can be installed on any platform (well, Firefox, Chrome and Opera can anyway), all are offered for free and comply with W3C standards, so...
Also, these conspiracies about Google wanting to 'control' the web are silly.  Google has released more open source projects than any corporation of it's size that I'm aware of, and has consistently pushed open source solutions over proprietary ones.  They've had plenty of opportunities to 'control' the web, to lock users in to proprietary solutions, etc...  And so far, they haven't.  No reason to think they're all of a sudden going to turn into Microsoft....
Rust is replacing C++ in the browser code, the language it runs will still be Javascript.   And Mozilla has never used Webkit (except on iOS), they have their own engine, Gecko.  Gecko is going to be replaced by the new engine, Servo I believe it's called.     On a side note, Opera is going to be following Google, and continuing to base their new browser on Chromium, and they'll also move to Blink.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that Mozilla is doing a from-scratch rewrite of their engine as well, in collaboration with Samsung...
  Forking is part of open source.  In a sense, it's a Darwinian mechanism that ensures the evolution of code...     Plus, if Google succeeds in making a better engine, Apple can always fork it back...
  As someone who uses Node.js, I must say V8 is a great piece of technology.  Javascript on V8 is one of, if not the quickest dynamic language I've ever encountered....
  They have to, the core parts of Webkit are LGPL licensed (from the KHTML days).....
  Well, for the record the only site here I ever have visited on my smartphone is LinkedIn.     Some of the sites listed here are for finding answers to questions, which Google does a better job of anyway.     The presence of White Pages and Dictionary.com indicates that iOS users are less likely to enter a contact's phone number into their phone, more likely to stalk others, and less literate than Android users.  
'Phablets' aren't a fad, but they'll never be the mainstream smartphone form either.  Phone size falls into the 'preference' category, people will like the size that works for them.