or Connect

Posts by Mikeb85

Using the Linux kernel doesn't require them to release any OS source code. Try educating yourself....Open source licenses are complex with lots of exceptions...
The user-space of the Android operating system is not under the GPL.  It uses the Apache license, which doesn't require anyone to release the source code of any changes.     Only changes to the kernel itself (with a few exceptions) need to be released under the GPL.     http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html
They've already released 'Facebook' phones.  One was the HTC Status, a Blackberry lookalike with a dedicated Facebook button...  It will likely just be another phone with a bit of Facebook branding and integration.  Or it could even just be another app...     Facebook doesn't need to release their own OS, it would be more of a headache than it would be worth it...
  Indeed.     Apple patenting technology that Samsung has already invented and shown off at trade shows, and that Apple doesn't even have the ability to build...
  Interesting analysis, pretty neat how your company uses them.     I really do think ChromeOS is the future of computing, after using apps on Chrome that make use of NaCl (native client).  Playing 'From Dust' in Chrome is a pretty cool experience, and being able to run native apps in a browser solves alot of fragmentation issues.  Technologies like WebGL are also getting pretty mature, real apps in the browser are a reality, and someday in the not too distant future may...
  Apple is not broken.  The products are still good.     AAPL is underperforming, but if you were a serious investor you would have sold at 600+, and reinvested in something else.  Buy and hold forever only works if you don't care about reaping the profits yourself.     No stock can climb forever....
  It probably isn't better, after all, you can install Linux on a Macbook Pro at least as easily as on a Chromebook.  LTE would be one upside, but then again tethering to a cell phone or getting a USB stick modem isn't a big deal.     I think it's a very niche-oriented machine aimed strait at those who want a developer machine in Google's ecosystem, with nice (vanity) hardware.  It's definitely not a mass-market product, and unless you have a large disposable income, the...
  I actually prefer Google Docs to MS.  Not quite as many features, but I never really miss MS Office.  I've never found I've been wanting features it didn't provide...  Google Docs' scripting features also seem quite nice, but like Relic I generally use command line scripts (in Ruby though).     Google definitely likes to ship unfinished software, and I don't use all of it, but I think they definitely are ahead of MS and others in terms of usefulness.  
  No, running it off an SD card would be slow.  Partitioning and formatting any disk using Linux tools and installing from a USB stick is incredibly easy these days.  The Linux OS itself also requires little space relative to Windows and OSX.     But I think Relic is talking about installing Linux apps on Chrome OS.
  I wouldn't say Torvalds is necessarily cocky, just very opinionated...  And doesn't have to tone down his rhetoric for anyone.  And he has strong opinions.  At least he's not as crazy as Richard Stallman...   And yes, we all wonder what the hell Gnome was thinking (I don't think Gnome Shell is bad per se, but they've made some bad decisions for their ecosystem)...