or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

You're talking about the Dell XPS 11, which at $999 only includes an i3 and 80GB of SSD (vs. i5 and 128GB on the Air), and features a wonderful "capacitive touch" keyboard and that will be shipping in unknown quantities in November? How many of these will they sell? Dell may be able to move a lot of $400 15" laptops, but I'm not sure this thing will be a raging success that necessitate mass-production. And unless I'm mistaken, that high-res Lenovo Thinkpad Gatorguy linked...
 What are they supposed to do? Invent unicorn-powered batteries that can power a 35% bigger retina display (vs. the Nexus 7) for the same volume without reducing battery life or making the device heavier or thicker? Pay billions to compensate for the lower yields of a bigger screen to be able to produce 10 millions of them but reducing their margins to zero and then look at their stock value go down toward zero? I guess Apple is doomed then because they can't compete on...
 You should know better... The 9.7" retina iPad has a lower resolution (264dpi vs 324 for the iPhones and iPad mini), and the smaller 3.5" and 4" panels are much easier to produce (being small divides the chances of bad pixels). The iPad mini has 35% more screen area than the Nexus 7, yet the devices are roughly the same size in term of volume. How could it get the same battery life since powering the display and backlight is an important battery drain? 35% is also a big...
 In the first episode (pilot?) of Get Smart which is in black and white, Max is sitting in a crowded theater and his shoe-phone starts ringing, annoying everyone around him. It seems that the writers were prescient about the issues that cellphones would raise in public places some 30 years later!
 I also found it weird at first, but given the scale of the graph, I think that the spikes and dips we're seeing are simply related to the time of the day. People are less likely to update during the night, except maybe for the first day or two.
 Gold anodization is among the easiest color to achieve, while having this white paint behind the glass of the 4 seemed to cause them problems. They can quickly readjust their casing production to match the unexpected demand for the gold model.The CPU/Touch ID is probably more of the culprit than the gold casing.
While looking at the Twitter feed for iOS 7 yesterday I noticed that a lot of teens/young people were looking forward to this feature, especially for blocking messages. A lot were very happy that they could now block a few people in their contacts. Which makes me wonder, are today's teens often victim of harassment through messaging apps?
 Aside from the Wallpaper settings bugs, I haven't stumbled on any major bugs on my iPad 3 (been running the GM since the 10th). Sure it feels slower than on my iPhone 4S and there are some cosmetic bugs that I don't see on the iPhone, but nothing major.  The only thing that really annoys me is the fact that they disabled the frosted glass effect on the iPad 3 build for most of the UI starting with beta 5. I wish they'll bring it back if they fix some of the performance...
 While this may still account for less than 10%, if you do a search on Twitter you can see that A LOT of people including non-techies were/are actually eagerly waiting to install iOS 7 (many thought it would somehow be available at midnight).
 How is it a downgrade from the iPhone 5? It's got a better battery and front camera. I guess you're talking about the plastic casing? It may be a downgrade to you (and me to a point), but I think a lot of people feel that the iPhone 5/5S seems too luxurious and fragile compared to Android phones with chunky plastic casings.  Also, every person I know that still uses a feature phone brags about how much more durable their phone is compared to a "fragile" smartphones. To...