or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

There's a very specific bug that affects iPhones that have been restored using an iTunes back up (something that you should not do anyway). It has to do with the iTunes/app store process getting stuck in a loop, using 50-70% CPU and quickly draining battery in the background even when the device is sleeping. It will most likely be fixed in Beta 2.   Until then, if you have this bug and don't want to reinstall: disable auto-updates, avoid the store apps and reboot whenever...
To me at least, the parallax effect actually gives a better impression of depth than the fake 3d look of iOS 6.    I have the iOS 7 beta on my iPhone, and each time I go back to my iPad (which is running iOS 6) I notice how the home screen feels actually flatter than iOS 7, despite all the glossiness and shadowing effects in iOS 6.   And for those who experience heavy battery drain running the BETA (is that hard to understand, BETA?), it doesn't have anything to...
Yes but I don't remember an instance of a built-in iOS app sharing an interface design with a third-party app, hence the "deepens" in the title.
The reason why Windows 8 Metro and Android adopted simplified and textureless interface designs is very simple : these OSes have to target a variety of screen sizes and scale the interface gracefully. They didn't do this just because they thought it looked better and "modern", it was just the obvious way to go for them.   iOS was stuck in supporting only one screen size until the iPad, but the transition to iPad apps was not handled via auto-layout APIs and devs had...
Yeah sorry I should've said "how do WE know..."   Anyway I got confused by the article and the confusing Samung names. The claimed 12 hours battery life is for the Ativ Book 9 lite, not the Ativ Q.   Edit: The Ativ Book 9 lite is a MacBook clone that doesn't run Android, and it's not that "lite", it weights 1.44kg, which is around 3.2 pounds.   It's heavier than the air, but lighter than the current 13" retina MBP (1.62kg), but remember that those haven't been upgraded...
How do you know that it will be 12 hours of real-world usage of desktop apps on Windows? Apple is usually relatively spot on with their battery life estimates, while many other companies are known to exaggerate it.   Beside I just found an article that says that Samsung claimed 9 hours or battery life on the Ativ Q, not 12.   http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/465528/samsung_ativ_q_tablet_runs_both_windows_8_android_jelly_bean/   Edit: searched around the web, and...
Because, amongst other things its real weight is 1.29kg (2.8lb) and not 1.2lb like this article claims.   Can anyone fix the article?   Edit: this still makes it lighter than the 13" MacBook air, but at least it's more plausible, and I bet that you can only get 12 hours in Android mode.
The simpler textureless design of Windows 8 and Android interfaces have been dictated by their need to automatically rearrange their UI layouts on a variety of screen sizes.   To me, it's very obvious that the radical iOS 7 design shift has a lot to do with a need for greater flexibility in dealing with various screen sizes.
Actually, as far as I know Apple doesn't allow publishers to get around paying the 30% cut by using external subscriptions systems.   http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/11/apple-and-microsoft-at-odds-over-skydrive-app-subscription-fees   Presumably Microsoft got a special deal from Apple.
Somehow, we quickly forget the large amount of cheap and crippled "smart"phones running older versions of Android and that will probably never get any update. Yeah... these phones don't really exist. Except when it's time to compare marketshare of course!