or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

Not in every country.
I like how some people try to make us believe that Apple is going "out of fashion". 
Goggle doesn't copy anything. They put giant desserts on their lawn. Not the same as giant pixelized icons.  
Despite the naysayers, I expect the iPhone 5S to sell much more than 5M in the first week end. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did aim to make 8-10 million 5S available in the first week-end, and launching in a lot of countries at the same time.   Look at what happened with the 4 -> 4S.     The iPhone 4 was a completely new case design and needed custom manufacturing techniques, and because of low yield rates they could only make enough to sell 1.7M units...
Good point, but the difference is that Apple will try to plug this "hole" while Google is willingly allowing random apps from the Web to be installed with a simple "allow sideloading" switch.   I'd like to see some Android enthusiast here complain that Google doesn't do enough to prevent Android from becoming a malware haven like Windows was. I'm sure those people exist, but it seems that pro Android posters here choose instead to blame the "stupid" users and/or try to...
    According to Google themselves, around 60% of Android devices run version 4.x (I think I'm fair to include both 4.0 ICS and 4.1 JB, as I could also have only counted 4.1 which is only 26%)   http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html   And according to Apple, there were nearly 300 million iOS devices running iOS 6 in January 2013 (probably more...
How much of those are the crippled modern equivalent of feature phones and barely ever get used as smartphones (little or no web surfing, little or no app installs)? I would guess a lot. 10%? 25%? 50%?   Of course it's hard to blame Google for counting those devices even though they don't really compete with Apple.   Just because it runs Android doesn't mean it's relevant in the grand scheme of things. Those crippled Android do nothing to improve the Android...
  Too bad Jailbreaking and Sideloading are different things, and this makes your "replace Android by Apple in that phrase" switcheroo pretty meaningless in the context of the discussion.   The barrier to entry for jailbreaking is much higher than for sideloading. You have to physically connect the iPhone to a computer, and it is disabled with every iOS update. It's not something that you switch on your friend's phone while waiting for the bus.   Also, by default you can't...
Sideloading enables those who know about it to do "cool things" that others can't do on their phone.    Which leads to bragging and explaining to friends how to do it, who then show it to other friends etc.   At the end of the day, a lot of Android users end up side loading apps because someone told them to. And a lot of them don't have the knowledge to be able to discern what is a so-called "trusted source".