or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

The simpler textureless design of Windows 8 and Android interfaces have been dictated by their need to automatically rearrange their UI layouts on a variety of screen sizes.   To me, it's very obvious that the radical iOS 7 design shift has a lot to do with a need for greater flexibility in dealing with various screen sizes.
Actually, as far as I know Apple doesn't allow publishers to get around paying the 30% cut by using external subscriptions systems.   http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/12/11/apple-and-microsoft-at-odds-over-skydrive-app-subscription-fees   Presumably Microsoft got a special deal from Apple.
Somehow, we quickly forget the large amount of cheap and crippled "smart"phones running older versions of Android and that will probably never get any update. Yeah... these phones don't really exist. Except when it's time to compare marketshare of course!
I wonder what Andy Ihnatko thinks of this... 
Isn't it what they've been doing ever since they released the iPhone OS SDK? Anyone remembers how restrictive it was at first? There are hundreds of things that iOS devs can now do that they couldn't back in 2008.
Nevermind. Hit the wrong button. Again.
As you must know, with the dev tools installed, iOS apps can be compiled and run natively on Mac OS X. The simulator is essentially a wrapper that sandboxes x86 iOS apps into a restricted environment simulating iOS devices.   Apple's development version of the simulator must be much more flexible than what we have, and it's probably relatively trivial for them to make it access large amount of memory and screen estate.   It's probably also relatively easy for them to make...
This is simply not true and your webpage rendering example is irrelevant to this fact.   It's weird how multiple posters are spreading this false notion recently. Is this a new "talking point" as MS used to call them?
Yeah, I was wondering the exact same thing, as I pondered if I should have wasted my time replying. 
What the heck are you talking about?   Every single of the 2048x1536 pixel on the iPad screen is addressable, it is real screen estate.    But it's a portable touch device, buttons and UI widgets have to be big enough to be usable with fingers, and text has to be big enough to be readable since it's a small screen (compared to a 17-24" desktop computer screen). It would be pretty stupid for developers to treat it like a 17" display and make UI widgets that are 20 pixels...