or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

Good point, but it would make it soooo much easier for devs if they could use the same set of buttons/bitmaps and touch target and font sizes across all iOS devices. Also, showing iPad (mini) apps on a 12.9" would make them look huge and clunky so this would only be a stopgap measure anyway, much less important than keeping consistency for developers. The iPad resolution was not a direct multiple of the iPhone resolution and while the density changed, it got lower so touch...
The retina MacBook Pro screen is "only" 227 ppi and I don't see a lot of people complaining about that. But let's forget about the proximity from the eyes bit.  The iPad air resolution is already good enough for 95%+ of people at 264 ppi. Heck, a lot of people can't even see the difference between a retina and non-retia iOS device. The only situation where I really notice the pixels on my iPad 3 is when some 3D game shows highly contrasted polygons without...
Not really. The 2x resolution skip was useful because the screen size remained the same between the non-retina and retina version. It enabled developers to keep the same exact layouts while the OS automatically converted coordinates by multiplying them by 2. If the screen size changes significantly, developers have to redesign their apps layouts anyway, they can't simply make everything bigger because it would look ridiculous and waste screen estate. So a 2x skip wouldn't...
Ok so I was off about the 500+ PPI remark (was too lazy to calculate). The "higher resolution" products from HTC and LG are ~5" screens. High density panels become exponentially harder to make as the size go up.  A 12.9" screen is several times larger than a phone/phablet display. And the 15" retina MBP screen is 227 PPI, which is pretty far from 396. I don't understand why so many people seem to assume that PPI should go up on larger iPads even though it goes against...
I also believe in the possibility of an "iPad Pro" next year, but expecting mass produced 4K screens at 12.9" for 2014 is wishful thinking. 
Totally makes sense, Apple has trouble getting mass produced 326dpi 7.9" screens for the iPad mini retina, I'm sure they'll have no problem getting 12.9" screens at 500+dpi next year!   /sarcasm 
I suspect that in Japan the low-end portion of the Android market is a relatively much smaller segment than in the rest of the world.   Japan's feature phones has long been "smarter" than feature phones in the rest of the world, and Japanese are used to some built-in services and WAP versions of websites optimized for very small small screens.   Cheap low-end crippled Android phones are not seen by them as a good replacement for the feature phones they're used to have,...
I will refrain myself from discussing with people that have some twisted understanding of screen resolution/density. Some people just don't seem to understand how it works and those discussions always end up with circular logic arguments.
Let's hope Apple doesn't try to make this into the ultimate Nielsen ratings box like Microsoft is trying to do with the Xbox One.   The whole TV industry in North-America (and many other places in the world) is built around a very archaic survey system for TV ratings that fails to adequately account for new ways of accessing media content.   Though you can now opt out of it, Microsoft plans to use the Kinect during TV watching from various sources to give content...
It's simple : the only kind of market share data that matters to consumers is ecosystem usage.   And for those who don't care about the ecosystem, any kind of market share data should be irrelevant anyway.