or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

That's because of the DMCA, a law in the US that forbids the circumvention of digital copy-protection schemes, even for "fair-use". I think that the Handbrake developers are not based in the US, and if I remember correctly the software includes a warning that ripping a DVD might be illegal in "your country". Standard audio CDs don't include copy-protection, hence can be ripped for personal use. Ripping a CD on a friends computer and giving him the songs (while keeping the...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the template for the new "Guest Account" functionality in Leopard. For some reason it's heavily protected against modifications, having its permissions set to root or something like that. (I don't know much about UNIX permissions, I hope that what I wrote makes sense).Edit: Ireland, did you try to boot in verbose mode (cmd-opt-v) and try to find the culprit?
There's one thing that I hope that they'll "fix" soon, maybe not in 10.5.1 but hopefully before 10.6. While Spotlight in 10.5 is much quicker and more powerful thanks to the boolean operators and other new features, there's a big problem in the result windows: you only get the "name", "kind" and "last opened" columns, and there's no way to change that! I assume that they simply didn't have the time to add that functionality before shipping the big cat, but I sure hope...
I've never had this issue, so I couldn't say if it was fixed in Leopard...But what I can tell you is that in Leopard's Finder preferences, you can disable that annoying dialog all together! So you'll be able to change extensions without being interrupted!So even if that bug was still present, disabling the dialog will get around it. And if you change extensions often like me, you'll turn it off anyway.
To anyone that believes that Apple will deliberately brick unlocked iPhones, explain me this: How come Apple warned that only SOME of the unlocking methods would cause this problem, implying that the other methods won't cause bricking? If Apple got out of their way to thwart unlocking applications, they would target ALL methods not just two specific ones. It would be probably much easier and logical for them to brick every iPhone with hacked SIM settings than to...
You can also fast-forward or rewind by holding the prev/next buttons. What would be the gesture for that? I agree with shamino, and while I can see the full-size iPod becoming a touch-screen device, I think the nano will keep the scroll-wheel for the longest time. Your gesture idea kinda look nice on paper, but in the real world could be a pain to use. Let's say I want to raise the volume just a little by making to short vertical upward swipes... Oops, the music stops, it...
The big flaw in the Creative Stone is that it only plays music in alphanumeric order! Creative's own FAQ recommends renaming tunes with numbers in front of the name (001,002,003 etc) to get around this problem. The ability to put music in "folders" that can be skipped is nice, but still to access them in the order you want, you'll have to use that clumsy filename numbering scheme. With the iPod shuffle + iTunes, you can either sort tunes by albums, artists etc. but you...
Thank god some people here are old enough to remember that... I remember the days where everyone was naive enough to believe that the whole PC industry was going to move to the PPC based Common Hardware Reference Platform (CHRP). At the time, the x86 platform was really a mess (it got much better since then), and the goal was to move personal computing forward to a well defined platform basis. RISC cpus were seen as the "cpus of the future" and many believed that they...
Though it's not ideal, sorting by size can be a work-around, as folders will display a size of --, and will appear at the bottom or top of the list, depending on the sorting order. Just make sure the option "calculate folder sizes" is turned off.
iPod linux only plays specially formated uncompressed AVI. It won't play anything compressed, and that probably means every AVIs Cato988 owns cannot be played on an iPod, even with Linux. The iPod processor is not powerful enough to decode DiVX or any compressed AVIs. The reason it can play .h264 and .mp4 is that it includes a special hardware decoding chip specifically made to decode these two formats. And from the look of it, you cannot reprogram this chip to decode...