or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

And incidentally, Microsoft owns its success as a dominating OS vendor to IBM's mindshare in the enterprise market. CP/M was a better and more mature OS, and it was licensed just like MS-DOS eventually was. Being "IBM compatible" was a selling-point that made all the difference in the world.
I think it's a gross over-simplification to say that iTunes is "just a bunch of XML files" outside of the iTunes store. I also think that having iTunes install MySQL would lead to tons of potential problems on Windows. And you still haven't addressed the problem that the interface could get very slow if you don't have a recent computer. You really seem to underestimate the complexity of iTunes. While Apple can entice people to upgrade their Macs when adding new...
iTunes works very well to manage a media library even when you're not connected to the internet. You must be talking about the iTunes Store. Sure the store part could be ported to WebKit, I don't see any major problems with that. I'm talking about the rest of iTunes, namely the media management part. As I said, Javascript simply wouldn't cut it when it comes to sorting/managing 10,000+ songs and dealing with all the meta-data of a large library. Even with a small library,...
I highly doubt that iTunes 9 will be rewritten using Webkit. It simply doesn't make any sense. Webkit is a web rendering engine and writing iTunes using Webkit would essentially make it a "Web App" that uses javascript, html and css. Windows users are already complaining how iTunes is slow and bloated on Windows, javascript simply wouldn't cut it to manage 10,000+ songs in a library. Safari wasn't ported to Windows using Webkit. It was Webkit itself that was ported to...
While only the latest MacBooks support built in hardware accelerated video playing, the iPhone and iPod touch used the GPU to play video since their release. Do you seriously think that the iPod touch can achieve 6 hours of video playback using only the CPU? And while we'll have to wait until Snow Leopard to get wider support for hardware accelerated video in Macs, OS X was offloading imaging/graphics processes to the GPU way before Windows.
Hmm.. no. You're not an Apple developer aren't you? Do you have any idea how vast are the Cocoa and Carbon frameworks and APIs? Apple built a lot of stuff on top of the UNIX layer. OS X is much more than UNIX with a pretty window manager. I'm certain that the vast majority of the OS X code comes from Apple, and that's just for the APIs/frameworks/UI. I'm not even counting the Finder and other Apple apps that are bundled with the OS. The most used UNIX parts are mainly...
One aspect that seems to be forgotten in this thread is that OS X is worth more than $129, in terms of the R&D Apple spent to develop it. Edit: TenoBell just brought the same argument. OS X doesn't cost 10x less than Windows to develop, yet it has less than 10% of the market share. While MS certainly has to spend more on R&D to make sure Windows work with all hardware variations, it certainly does not make it 10x more expensive to make. To put it simply, the $129 price...
Wow, interesting... Before Leopard was released and it was confirmed that it would include a vectorized GUI framework, and based on some other Apple patents hinting such things, I had a "vision" of what could be a new GUI for Leopard: Here's what I posted on digg at the time:Now I was wrong when predicting it would make it into 10.5, and while the vectorized UI framework is present, it's disabled when the resolution independence ratio is at 1.0x, and buggy when it's on. (I...
I don't see what carbon libraries have to do with a pane in System Preferences. You could always change the Show/Hide Dock shortcut to whatever you want, it's just that the interface is now different.This feature existed (known then as "put away") in Mac OS 5.x-9.x, if not before. It was gone from OS X for some reason, now it's back. It was pretty lazy from Apple that it took so long to "put back" this feature (pun intended?) but this point about Windows 95 having it...
Why don't you guys try to photograph or film these banner with some kind of X-Ray or Infra-red filter? That would be interesting!