or Connect

Posts by VL-Tone

To anyone that believes that Apple will deliberately brick unlocked iPhones, explain me this: How come Apple warned that only SOME of the unlocking methods would cause this problem, implying that the other methods won't cause bricking? If Apple got out of their way to thwart unlocking applications, they would target ALL methods not just two specific ones. It would be probably much easier and logical for them to brick every iPhone with hacked SIM settings than to...
You can also fast-forward or rewind by holding the prev/next buttons. What would be the gesture for that? I agree with shamino, and while I can see the full-size iPod becoming a touch-screen device, I think the nano will keep the scroll-wheel for the longest time. Your gesture idea kinda look nice on paper, but in the real world could be a pain to use. Let's say I want to raise the volume just a little by making to short vertical upward swipes... Oops, the music stops, it...
The big flaw in the Creative Stone is that it only plays music in alphanumeric order! Creative's own FAQ recommends renaming tunes with numbers in front of the name (001,002,003 etc) to get around this problem. The ability to put music in "folders" that can be skipped is nice, but still to access them in the order you want, you'll have to use that clumsy filename numbering scheme. With the iPod shuffle + iTunes, you can either sort tunes by albums, artists etc. but you...
Thank god some people here are old enough to remember that... I remember the days where everyone was naive enough to believe that the whole PC industry was going to move to the PPC based Common Hardware Reference Platform (CHRP). At the time, the x86 platform was really a mess (it got much better since then), and the goal was to move personal computing forward to a well defined platform basis. RISC cpus were seen as the "cpus of the future" and many believed that they...
Though it's not ideal, sorting by size can be a work-around, as folders will display a size of --, and will appear at the bottom or top of the list, depending on the sorting order. Just make sure the option "calculate folder sizes" is turned off.
iPod linux only plays specially formated uncompressed AVI. It won't play anything compressed, and that probably means every AVIs Cato988 owns cannot be played on an iPod, even with Linux. The iPod processor is not powerful enough to decode DiVX or any compressed AVIs. The reason it can play .h264 and .mp4 is that it includes a special hardware decoding chip specifically made to decode these two formats. And from the look of it, you cannot reprogram this chip to decode...
In the "Session 200 - Graphics and Media State of the Union" movie from WWDC 2006 (found on the free "ADC on iTunes" section) I've noticed some very interesting tidbit. When talking about Core Animation, the presenter explained the motivations behind its creation. He said something to the effect that Apple was getting many requests from devs to give them access to the private APIs of the Window Server, and that Core Animation was created as a foundation that would be...
How about the iPod? The cheapest iPod in 2001 was $399 and was holding about a thousand song in mp3 format. in 2007, you can get a much less bulky iPod with a color screen that holds a thousand AAC songs at $199 (second gen 4GB iPod nano). Also, the first gen 2GB nano was $199, it's now $149. Sure you'll say "they just upgraded the 1GB model", but the 1GB was a late addition anyway that brought the entry level price for an iPod with screen to $149. And if you don't...
Yes, according to this very interesting tech-note http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821 which is linked in the article.
I guess he could've switched to Windows or Linux, but since Robert Cringely was Apple employee No. 12, it's hard to believe he's not an Apple user or fan.