or Connect

Posts by hungover

Smartphone Platforms- why do comscore list Apple as the platform and not iOS?
 I didn't say that she doesn't use a keyboard or the trackpad. I was pooh-poohing the suggestion that you can't use the Surface Pro without the stylus. Personally I don't own either a Surface or an iPad. That said, I would always rather use a physical QWERTY keyboard whenever possible AND one that supports keyboard shortcuts. Once one is using a keyboard- having to reach out to the screen to use your finger is an ergonomic nightmare, and thus (if using a keyboard) I would...
 My GF would assume that differential calculus was using more than one type of calculator to work something out... Valid point about the limitations of keyboards though.
Erm... My GF has the Surface Pro 2. She has never needed to use the stylus. And yes she uses it as both a productivity tool and a toy.
 Intel did go to court. The court found them guilty of infringing the patent. The court did accept that the infringement wasn't wilful (given that Intel had contributed $90,000 to the research in the first place and assumed that they therefore had rights to the IP). According to the Register, WARF were pursuing Intel for "standard" charges. I have no idea how such figures are calculated, nor do I know how much they settled out of court for. I would imagine that Intel now...
 Apple cited the patent in their own patents. They can't claim that they were unaware of it. They did attempt to have the patent invalidated but failed. From that point onwards they should have paid up. The irony about this patent is that Intel donated $90,000 to the research in the first place, and then got sued anyway. Their defence, accepted by the courts was they believed that they had rights to use the IP in their Core2Duo processor. The courts decided that their...
 Why do assume that this was a server (overload) issue? When you hit the "slide to upgrade wall" a forced reboot asks you to confirm which Wifi network you are using, then it freezes again (immediately). Doesn't sound like it is anything to do with server capacity and suggesting that users are at fault for following on screen prompts to upgrade reads like childish denial.
  How did you manage to upgrade to ios 8 first. I have limited experience of iphones/iTunes. After experiencing the "slide to upgrade" and using iTunes, it automatically installed iOS 9, iTunes didn't ask me which version I wanted. TBH I don't know which OS version the phone had previously been on
 Next time, try a forced reboot. Hold the power and home button at the same time until it powers up again
For many people, this is not a fix and the advice given isn't correct.   I foolishly suggested that my client upgrade her 5S yesterday.   She ended up with the frozen "slide to upgrade" screen.   I plugged the phone in to iTunes. Selected "back up now". It pretended to do something. I then selected restore. It told me that I need to go to settings in the phone and turn off "find my phone" (duh...).   I deleted the phone from find my phone in icloud.com but still...