or Connect

Posts by hungover

Yet another revisionist article that tries to mislead the reader.   DED, why must you continue to pretend that prior to the iphone all phones had Qwerty or numeric keyboards?   HTC's first ever handset was the 2002 Wallaby. It ran Windows Mobile and sported a 3.5" touch screen. It had no keyboard.  
 I was asking what the VAT rate was from the perspective of a customer. As such it is incredibly easy for them to tell me. TBF to the agent that I contacted, I did ask three questions initially. The first was what rate do UK iTunes customers pay. The second was, how does one request a VAT receipt. The third wasn't really a question but an observation, the Apple contact page does not recognise email addresses ending in .me.uk  In my follow up response I made it abundantly...
 Hi Marvin. My email to apple was "anonymous", ie., not tagged to my Apple ID. I did reply to their less than helpful email, explaining that I just wanted to know what rate of VAT was applied. Their response was that they would  need my Apple ID. I do not understand why one needs to do this though. AFAIK one is legally entitled to know what rate of VAT is being applied. The Apple site suggests 23% (whereas others here suggest 15%), all I am trying to do is get...
Hi Marvin As far as the VAT man is concerned iTunes downloads are classified as services. Yes iTunes SARL is based in Luxembourg, where the applicable VAT rate is 15% and not the 6% quoted on most sites. BUT, and here is the big but, ~The digital portion of the deal incurs a VAT charge wherever the publisher’s subscription fulfilment company is based.~ In the case of Apple the fulfilment company is based in Ireland. I did email Apple last night for clarification....
I don't think that will raise their prices. They would have known that the writing was on the wall and may have seen the tax differential as being a short term gain. Prices are pegged against their competitors.  Those competitors that are UK based and playing the game fairly would be in a stronger position if Amazon hike their prices up.
 The laws are somewhat asymmetric. Why pay VAT on an eBook when the original was 0% VAT rated? Bizarrely you have to pay VAT on printing catalogues, I guess that the argument is that they are promotional products but you don't pay VAT for flyers (considered to be one off promotional products) or newspapers which increasingly seem to be half full of adverts. 
This article doesn't make sense.   If us Brits are going to be charged the UK VAT rate of 20%, purchases will be 3% cheaper.   Currently digital downloads from Apple originate in Ireland and are charged at the higher Irish VAT rate of 23% (throughout the whole of Europe).   AFAIK, Apple could charge the Luxembourg low digital VAT rate (after all iTunes SARL is based there) but they choose to appease the Irish taxman (who lets them off a hell of a lot of taxes in...
I agree that the figures look very suspect. The 140+M includes ipads. Evans estimates the number of active iPhones in China at approximately 100m. This would suggest that 1 in 4 of all iphones made since 2007 are still active in China??? I tend to take Evans' hobby analysis with a pinch of salt. 
 There is an alternative theory, namely that she had been hit on the head by a window frame during a tornado, knocked unconscious and just happened to be having an elaborate dream about characters that just happened to look like members of her extended family. I shall let you decide which version you would rather believe but if you, or anyone else is interested I am happy to post you magic beans in return for a cow or bitcoins (depending on which is worth more at the time...
DED, The following is probably going to sound more curt than I intended (my back hurts and I am trying to supplement the NSAIDs with alcohol in the pub post work) , I apologise in advance.  This makes absolutely no sense at all. OEMs could do pretty much whatever they wanted (with regard to form factor, hardware specs and software), hence HTC baked in Sense and before that, introduced both the finger based scrolling TrueFlo and motion based VueFlo back in early...