or Connect

Posts by hungover

it is difficult to enter into conversation with someone that is so defensive. You (understandably) take umbrage when you consider that someone is being rude to you but you are so entrenched in your point of view that you fail to see when you are being rude.   Any OS on crap hardware will result in a crap experience. There were many crap winMo handsets, equally there were many high end WinMo handsets. Your dismissal of WM seems to based on little more than the fact that...
I admit that I was thinking of something akin to the shuffle, albeit on that has (more) functionality. I just didn't have the guts to deal with the inevitable flak.
  If we assume that the majority of potential 5C owners are those that will opt for cheaper tariffs (ie. those with limited data allowances) the idea of limiting the storage to 8gb seems folly.   Apple need to sell phones to generate income via iTunes. Who is going to buy music or apps on the spur of the moment if they can't store it on their phone or stream it to their handset?   Perhaps they need to include SD.   Apple can afford to take a slight direct profit hit on...
Originally Posted by blackbook  The 5C will be far more profitable than a discounted 5 no matter how you look at it. For $550 Apple would make more money selling a 16GB or even 32GB 5C than a 16GB 5. The iPhone 5 is done after September 10th.
most people on two year contracts only upgrade after the 2 year period, regardless of handset cost.
I wonder where will the 5C be pitched, price wise?   I'd imagine that whilst apple dislike the fact that the older models cannibalise the sales of the latest model (to a degree) the ability to sell an older handset which has already recouped development costs must be nice.   if the 5c is significantly better than the 4 or 4s then it will cannibalise sales of those units (depending on price). Is the intention to drop the 4 and replace it with the 5c? To drop the 4...
  Sorry, I don't understand.   BLE requires power, NFC tags don't.   TBH I have only used NFC on my phone a couple of times, largely for novelty reasons but I can see how an NFC tag on the table next to my bed would be useful for customising features such as setting alarms/changing ring tone volume etc.   One of the biggest problems with NFC seems to be the differing technologies adopted by different OSes (a recurring theme with newer technologies).
I jumped to the conclusion that you were (possibly) being guilty of revisionism as a direct consequence of what I considered to intentional omissions and misrepresentations of the truth.   As an alternative explanation I did suggest that you were unfamiliar with resistive screens. You corrected me.   It wasn't my intention to be rude but I concede that the tone was less diplomatic than it could have been.   Had you been the owner of a windows mobile...
"It may be hard to believe now, but in 2007 Microsoft's definition of a "Windows Mobile Smartphone" meant that it didn't have a touchscreen."   DED, you do yourself no favours by trying to suggest that, prior to the iphone, all phones had little passive screens and number pads (incidentally, a ridiculous claim made by Apple's legal team).   Microsoft had two versions of windows mobile, one optimised for touch screens and one optimised for phones without touch...
  Although I no longer own a HTC, it is a shame that their earlier advances in the field of mobile handsets (and UMPCs) are overlooked.   HTC had 5" screens and phones that could run full PC OSes long before terms such as "phablet" has been coined.   Prior to 2007, it is difficult to argue that they were not the most innovative and inventive player in the smartphone arena.   It might be the case that had HTC not expanded the smartphone market, Jobs might not have seen the...