or Connect

Posts by hungover

I wonder where will the 5C be pitched, price wise?   I'd imagine that whilst apple dislike the fact that the older models cannibalise the sales of the latest model (to a degree) the ability to sell an older handset which has already recouped development costs must be nice.   if the 5c is significantly better than the 4 or 4s then it will cannibalise sales of those units (depending on price). Is the intention to drop the 4 and replace it with the 5c? To drop the 4...
  Sorry, I don't understand.   BLE requires power, NFC tags don't.   TBH I have only used NFC on my phone a couple of times, largely for novelty reasons but I can see how an NFC tag on the table next to my bed would be useful for customising features such as setting alarms/changing ring tone volume etc.   One of the biggest problems with NFC seems to be the differing technologies adopted by different OSes (a recurring theme with newer technologies).
I jumped to the conclusion that you were (possibly) being guilty of revisionism as a direct consequence of what I considered to intentional omissions and misrepresentations of the truth.   As an alternative explanation I did suggest that you were unfamiliar with resistive screens. You corrected me.   It wasn't my intention to be rude but I concede that the tone was less diplomatic than it could have been.   Had you been the owner of a windows mobile...
"It may be hard to believe now, but in 2007 Microsoft's definition of a "Windows Mobile Smartphone" meant that it didn't have a touchscreen."   DED, you do yourself no favours by trying to suggest that, prior to the iphone, all phones had little passive screens and number pads (incidentally, a ridiculous claim made by Apple's legal team).   Microsoft had two versions of windows mobile, one optimised for touch screens and one optimised for phones without touch...
  Although I no longer own a HTC, it is a shame that their earlier advances in the field of mobile handsets (and UMPCs) are overlooked.   HTC had 5" screens and phones that could run full PC OSes long before terms such as "phablet" has been coined.   Prior to 2007, it is difficult to argue that they were not the most innovative and inventive player in the smartphone arena.   It might be the case that had HTC not expanded the smartphone market, Jobs might not have seen the...
Following some of the links in the above image I stumbled upon this page   http://www.apple-history.com/gui   When Jobs accused Bill Gates of Microsoft of stealing the GUI from Apple and using it in Windows 1.0, Gates fired back:   No, Steve, I think its more like we both have a rich neighbor named Xerox, and you broke in to steal the TV set, and you found out I'd been there first, and you said. "Hey that's no fair! I wanted to steal the TV set!"   The...
An informative and interesting representation found at the following link   http://www.digibarn.com/stories/desktop-history/bushytree.html   Note: the original image contains hyperlinks (not active in the image posted on this forum)   Tnxs to dhalbert
Erm, I think you owe dhalbert an apology.   Had you followed dhalbert's link you would have had the opportunity to end up here   Given the animosity directed towards Mr Halbert I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to contribute any more to this discussion but I, for one, would be interested to hear (read) his take on the matter.  
The suggestion that Apple "buried" the billion dollar patent for altruistic reasons is puzzling- Why would they do that? If is really is that powerful then surely they should be using in the on going Samsung case?
it is a tad misleading though. There were several firms already making "low cost" mouses(/mice?), eg Logitech. Indeed even Microsoft had a mouse in 1983.   The alternative devices are equally flawed. The Apple Graphics tablet wasn't even made or designed by Apple. It was the KoalaPad, a product that also had variants for Atari, Commodore, TRS80 and IBM. Equally contentious is the scroll wheel, Bang and Olufsen had been using it for years before Apple adopted it as a means...