or Connect

Posts by alanwoollcombe

Wow - thank you so much for all that, it is much appreciated. Now comes the embarrassing bit: after much fiddling around with all the settings and still nothing working, I plugged the modem jack into a different phone socket - and it worked. The fault had been entirely mine: I had plugged the jack into a three-way adapter, along with my phone and the other modem. The other two items had worked fine, but not the iBook's modem, even though I was only using one device at...
Just in case anyone is kind enough to advise me on my System Preferences settings, here they are: The settings in the NETWORK pane are as follows: Location (drop-down menu): Automatic Show (drop-down menu): Internal Modem TCP/IP SCREEN - Configure: Using PPP IP Address (Provided by PPP server): [Blank] * Subnet Mask: [Blank] * Router: [Blank] * (* All of these have no boxes to enter information in) Domain Name Servers (Optional):...
Thanks for the suggestion - I don't know if you can either, but maybe someone else here does..? Thanks again anyway.
Hi. First, I'd like to apologize if this is a topic that's been covered to death - I haven't seen it covered in any recent thread, and as a novice at OS X living a looong way away from any Apple dealer, I'm totally at my wits' end. I have a 3-year-old iBook running OS X 10.1.2. The problem is simple: despite following the instructions in two otherwise-excellent manuals (Mac OS X: The Missing Manual and The Robin Williams Mac OS X Book), I can't get online. I get...
Thank you - that answers all my questions perfectly. Alan
Thanks for the suggestion, and it would explain why nothing happens when I try those key combos from outside the Grab program. I got my information on them from The Robin Williams Mac OS Book, which says (quote): "To use Grab:... 2. To capture the entire screen, press Command Z. To capture a selected portion of the screen, press Command Shift A." However, I certainly take your point about using the old key combinations. Thanks again. Alan
Hi. I hope this is a simple question. Do the Grab (screen snapshot) key-combination commands (Command-Z and Shift-Command-A) only work when the Grab utility is actually running? If so, how come I hear the alert sound when I press the keys, or is it just telling me that I've pressed a wrong combination? Also if so, why would anyone choose to use Grab when you can stick with the good old universal Command-Shift-3/Command-Shift-4 combinations? There must be...
Thanks - that'll be my next step. However, as I don't have another Mac that's working at the moment, is there anything else you can suggest I try before I trot over to my local computer shop?
Hi. I have a 1998 Wall Street Powerbook running OS 9.2 and recently acquired an unused (but maybe two years old) 20Gb LaCie PocketDrive for use with it. The PocketDrive comes with Firewire and USB ports, the Wall Street has neither, so I unearthed an old Macally CardBus USB adapter to provide the connection. The trouble is, something doesn't work: although the PocketDrive power light is on and an icon labelled 'USB' appears on the desktop, the Mac doesn't...
Thanks, and how reassuring to find that the 18th century art of the folly is still alive and kicking...!