or Connect

Posts by melgross

I went to SEEK's site, and they don't spec accuracy. The only spec that some might think is for accuracy,
I was considering the Flir as well, but by the time it came out, we were two thirds through the 5s lifetime. I've got a 5, but will be buying the 6+ early January, once our contract is up. Didn't seem worthwhile, as Verizon will give me $150 for my 5 when I get the new phone.The SEEK seems better for most uses anyway. I'd like it because my large, old house, is leaky. I expect I can find many leaks and save enough money over the course of two years to more than pay for it,...
Exactly. When I used to design and manufacturer professional audio equipment, we used to do stress testing of various kinds. One was a shaker table. That was really nice, but I questioned the usefulness. True, in shipping, something can get shaken heavily, but it's a rarity that it would cause failure, of shorten the life of the product, or even cause specs to change. When in use, the product is on a shelf, or in a rack.So sometimes those tests look good, and cause the...
No the question has been whether 5nm is electronically possible. There's a lot of theorizing that 5nm may have so much leakage (and other problems) that a reliable circuit may not be possible. 5nm wiring is just a bit over 10 atoms wide. Quantum effects become such a large percentage of the overall performance package, that a transistor may not work at all.While, in the lab, individual transistors have been made, they have not been able to figure out how to make millions...
The problem with industry standard tests of all kinds, is that they are standard. That means something that manufacturers of test equipment can make for everyone to buy so that they can do the same tests, under the same conditions. That normally means laboratory tests. It can be difficult to come up with tests that every manufacturer can agree on. If someone uses a non standard test, everyone gets upset, because there's no way to compare those results with those from...
The problem with those Nokia models is that they are very unpopular. VERY unpopular. They are saddled with Win Phone, and before that, the older versions used Symbian. The camera is about the only thing on those phones they can use as a selling point.But in order to have those cameras, the phones are thick, and I seem to remember that there is a camera bump. People don't want phones that thick and clutzy. So if Apple was willing to make a phone that thick, they could put a...
We have to be realistic, and ask ourselves what we really will be using our images for. I don't use my display Rez to determine what my camera Rez should be.
Except that HTC's cameras really sucked. This is both objectively, and subjectively. They recently went away from that camera concept and are offering cameras that are more conventional. Their old idea was that 4MP was enough, because people used their cameras for Facebook, email, etc. therefor, resolution didn't matter. So they used bigger pixels to get better noise ratios. But they blew it anyway. Their cameras lost so much detail that it has been a joke in the industry....
I have my beef with DXOMark, and I'm not the only one. They like to present it as totally objective. But that's not so. They review sensors too, though they don't admit that that's what they're doing. So you really need to look at all the graphs and charts—and actually understand what they all mean, and are measuring, to get an answer. Their scores are worthless, and have always been.
I've been a Canon user since 1969, with the F1. The problem is that right now, Canon tops out at about 21MP with a full frame sensor. Unfortunately, Sony makes sensors that are a bit better than Canon does, and they have that 36MP sensor. Nikon, after having spent years in sensor hell, trailing after Canon in the IQ race, went ahead with the D700, and has been out in front ever since. Not by a terrible amount, but still.. They use the Sony sensors, though they and Sony...