or Connect

Posts by melgross

Australia huh? All 21 million of them? Well, it hasn't caught on here for all 330 million of us. And it was never as popular in the EU as was sometimes reported. It's undergoing a slow death in the place where it was the most popular, Japan.Those are the big markets that really matter. If phones with NFC don't prove popular there, then what will happen to the small markets? Eventually, manufacturers might decide to save the expense, and discontinue the chips.We hear of...
You're a trader, not an investor. Investors such as myself look at the long term. I bought my last large position in Apple middle of 2004, when Apple was $16.97 a share before the split in 2005. If I were trading the stock instead of investing, it would have so,d it a number of times, and never made what I have. But I've kept , and bought so e more during the recession. I didn't sell it when it went done below $400.I'd be willing to say that by not selling, I've made a...
I did say interplanetary radiation. Nothing to do with Van Allen.
I understand the underlying financial reasoning. But as someone who has has several years of calc, and two years of statistics, I also understand that formulas such as this have little meaning. Someone decided that they were going to come up with a formula to describe a given vehicle, and we see the results. It doesn't mean that the math describes anything real. Someone has to decide what the terms mean, and why they have meaning. Afterwards, everyone just assumes the math...
I get them occasionally. But as I don't pay for texts or messages, it doesn't bother me that much.. But I still have to maintain a fax, and I get a lot there. It's illegal to send fax spam.
We can forget the Mars transporter. There is no evidence that people can survive a trip to Mars. The interplanetary radiation is so intense that no normal ship could carry people in safety.Two of the ideas being thought about are either too difficult, too expensive, too dangerous in their own right, or all three.One idea is to encase the life module in 10,000 tons of ice to absorb the radiation. The second is to develop a magnetic field around the ship similar to the one...
Now, that is nonsense! The reason why Amazon is priced where it is is simple. Bezos has convinced Wall Street that someday soon, Amazon will be making big profits. That's pretty much all it is. Once it's understood that it's impossible, going by their business model, the heyday of Amazon's stock price will be over.If it moves P/E to 30, then the stock will plummet. At about a P/E of 830 now, and a stock price of about $330, that will leave investors hanging off a cliff. If...
I'm not saying that the entire market is irrational, but it isn't exactly logical either.All financial formulary for valuations are ad hoc. It's decided that one thing or the other means something, and is given a value. But all of that is just assumed to mean what it means. There is no "natural" P/E, for example. It's just decided that a particular P/E is appropriate for an industry. I and whatever the actual P/E is is assumed to be "right". But that's nonsense. It's all...
Of course, with all the talk about what makes a share worth what it is, ultimately, share prices are irrational. So we look at the average P/E in the industry, and it think it's about 17.5. Apple's is lower, so it could lead to a higher share price to meet that average. But what does that average really mean? Well, not much. In reality, it's just a feeling that P/E should be priced at where it is.And how does one account for Amazon, with it's 830 P/E. Surely, irrational...
Yes, well, several analysts have been saying this for awhile now.