or Connect

Posts by melgross

This is very different. You can try to be flippant, but it isn't the iPhone with a worldwide marketshare of 82%. So while most aren't making money, that's because developing a smartphone is very complex. While Apple is taking the high road here, which is fine by me, Android Wear will be cheaper. Lots of people choose cheap.If Android Wear watches drop to $200, or less, a lot of them will be sold, even if they aren't very good, or don't look that great. That's just the...
I'm a watch aficionado, and I'm not too proud to admit that if you take a number of watches from several manufacturers that have similar styles, colors and just a few complications, I can't tell them apart without having to look more closely that a couple of feet, sometimes.The point is that while some watch manufacturers have come up with rather bizarre styles, most people want watches that stick to generally accepted styles. That includes people buying watches in the...
You really are going overboard here. There is no reason Fossil would have to make the OS, as they're using android Wear. They might write a few of their own apps, but they would do that they way many companies do, and farm them out. Nothing new here.This watch is obviously the Motorola watch. Fossil had to do little other than style and make the case. Possibly, Motorola did all of that too. You're finding problems that don't exist. They never need to make the interior...
Blaming Elop is blaming the wrong person. Large companies don't work that way. I can say with almost 100% assurance that Elop had little to do with the decision by Nokia to make Win Phone to the detriment of Symbian. Nokia had already made several large blunders. Ollie, the CEO at the time, was concerned that the smartphone industry had growth of 72% in a quarter, whereas their smartphone "only" grew by 36%. They were seeing the marketshare shrink. The first blunder was...
It's interesting on how the reporting of the purchase price of the Nokia phone division by Microsoft continues to rise in the writing of reporters long after it's been done, and we know the actual price. In reality, Microsoft paid about $4.9 billion for the Nokia phone division. They then also paid Nokia about $2.3 billion to license the relevant patents for ten years, non -exclusively. But reported prices keep ramping up. Now, Microsoft did write down about $7.6 billion...
I can't agree with that. Why the need for 2,250 extra large furnaces to produce the small covers for a watch? Makes no sense. No way that Apple would spend a total of over $750 million for watch sapphire cover production start-up.
Yes, Apple uses Gorilla Glass. It's getting tiring to have to repeat this.
It doesn't really matter. They have half of the game just knowing how to make watch cases, styling, and how to sell them. Technical expertise can always be bought. Apple does it all the time.The problem with what I've seen from Android Wear so far, is that the watches are coming from technology companies that have no idea of what the products they're making should look like.I'm just surprised that the watch they're showing doesn't have the look of a Fossil watch. I'm...
You need to read more carefully.I said that the reason TODAY is because it didn't have third party apps and 3G. That means that today, a phone wouldn't be considered to be a smartphone if it didn't at least have those features.I thought you would understand that, since I said today. I should have been clearer. I do t know why Jobs didn't like the term smartphone for the iPhone. He did say something about it being so much more than a phone, but I don'tt remember his exact...
The list I showed was for the USA.