or Connect

Posts by melgross

Straps, I suppose. But if a standard spring and pin is used, then no one needs to do anything about bands. I think the new watch went with a custom band release, from what I've read. And true, a dock is something, though if all you can do with them is charge, other than for some small convenience, it's not really much.As the Apple Watch came out with 3,500 apps, it's doubtful that you tried most of them. Some of the apps have received very good reviews. It's just that most...
I'm assuming you're not being totally serious about that, but I get the drift.
I don't know if I would agree that it isn't a smartwatch. They have several models. But I do see regular fitness bands being lumped into the smartwatch category if they have any kind of a display. If the display gives the time, I suppose you might be able to call it one, but it's a real stretch. You need apps for the "smart" part to mean anything these days. And something that just tracks steps and basic heartbeat isn't much of a smartwatch. It closer to a featurewatch, or...
As I said, most reviewers. You can look up reviews if you are really interested. Just type Pebble watch review into Google, Yahoo or Bing, whichever you use.
Let's get something straight. Pebble has had problems with venture capital from the very beginning. The reason the went to crowd funding in the first place was because venture capitalists weren't interested. So here we are with their new project, and again, they are not interested. Nothing new. We can look back to the beginning. Here's just one article from that time. http://www.forbes.com/sites/rakeshsharma/2013/07/04/deconstructing-pebbles-mainstream-push/
Except that that is a problem for most people. Reviewers have been really bothered about getting constant alerts without being able to turn off ones that weren't important. Without being able to know which alert is what, something that can't be modified on these smartwatchs, you need to look at all of them. The purpose to a smartwatch is to make things easier, not more annoying.
I'm not sure exactly what kind of ecosystem can built up around a smartwatch, other than for apps, of which Pebble has thousands. The quality of the apps is something else, of course, but the large majority of current Apple Watch apps are said to be terrible. Hopefully that will change with time as more developers actually get a watch.
I don't know how true the numbers are, because I'm pretty positive that they're lumping fitness bands in with them, but supposedly, 7 million smartwatches were sold last year. If true, and I don't believe the numbers, then Pebble's sales were just 10%.
We can just go by reviews that state the over simplification of the Pebble software, and how alerts are handled. If one reviewer complains, it's either that no one else cares to point out problems, which is something I see, as tech writers hate to dis a new product unless it's truly hopeless, or that it's just that one reviewer who is bothered by it. Since I've read a number of reviews that jab at the overwhelming number of alerts they get, which can't be fine tuned, I...
You know how this works. People will buy something until something better comes along. Yes, the first models were pretty cheap. But they had to lower the price even further as the Apple Watch came out. That likely lead to their financial concerns.This new watch, in keeping with its more advanced design, costs more. At some point, however, the price comes close enough to the Apple Watch so that potential customers may just say the heck with it and pay the extra to get the...