or Connect

Posts by melgross

I doubt that Apple will do that. Also, they most certainly can raise the clock to 2GHz if they want to. Moving to a smaller node gives them that possibility. It just depends on what they are doing in the design. You can go for more speed, or less power draw, or some combo. If Apple is interested in performance, then moving from 1.4GHz at 28nm to 2GHz at 20 is not out of line. Will they, who knows?But what's interesting to me is the fact that they may be sticking with two...
Not necessarily. It would depend on what he was being consulted about. I've signed more than a few NDA's, and had others sign them. Not everything you talk about requires an NDA. If Apple asked him general questions about saphirre, something about which he is a known expert, there is no reason that I can think of offhand that would require him to sign an NDA.
Nonsense! They've been having a serious number of problems.
Nah, it's thought that 7nm is likely the ends after that, new technology will be needed, such as carbon nanotubes, or something else. The chance of getting to 5bm is very small.
Well, at the bottom of my post I mention how Apple could do it. Now, there's a rumor that the new A8 will again be two cores, though perhaps at 2GHz, or higher. This would give the ability of doing what I suggested, if they also do the rest of what I suggested.
If you really want to get technical, we should be talking about grain boundary failure
It's complicated, because we're not really talking about extreme bendability, but rather, resistance to stress induced cracking, which isn't exactly the same thing. After all, Gorilla glass has been shown to break fairly easily. Hard also means strong. Whether that also points to brittleness relies on a number of factors such as the structure of the material, and bonding strength of the atoms.For example, as used in tooling, tungsten carbide is more brittle than high speed...
At the beginning of the thread, in my response to SpamSandwich, the first sentence:"Intel is making a few smaller lower performance 14nm chips, just recently begun. But the majority of their 14nm production is well behind original estimates, by about two years!"
Not really. That's a special edition of "Windows" called RT. That's an ARM edition of Windows that doesn't run Windows software. It runs the Modern UI. It doesn't run on x86. It's Microsoft's answer to iOS, it hasn't done well.
That's why we've been reading that it will be a problem. I don't know what Apple can do other than to make minor CPU refreshes. The entire industry is dependent on this.