or Connect

Posts by melgross

Ok, look, I've never claimed that the iPhone battery was capable of a quick charge. That would be a full charge after perhaps 15 minutes. What is true, is that the battery is allowed, by Apple, to be more quickly charged by the 12 watt charger. I have said that the circuitry prevents the battery from overcharge. There's no disagreement there. What started this whole thing was when I pointed out the new Motorola phone which does have a quick charge battery, and charger. I...
You don't need to include iPads. You can include iPads if you want to. This is a difficult subject. Talking about windows and OS X is talking about the desktop market, which includes notebooks. It merely means computers that are comparable with those two OS's. I've often argued that iPads are "real" computers, because they do what most people need from computers, even though they work differently. Other people argue differently. They insist that without having a hardware...
There are two ways to measure performance. One way is to go around the OS the way most objective testing software does, and read the hardware performance. The other way is to work through the OS and apps to get a less accurate, but more subjective evaluation.So what do we want when measuring chip performance? I'm interested in as objective a measurement as possible. There, the K1 fares pretty well in some measurements against the A8x, about the same on others, and worse in...
We can look to x86. Intel's designs are significantly different from AMD's designs, despite that they're both x86. Nevertheless it's been understood for some time that comparing MHz to MHz, even there, is worthless, because the designs are different enough to render that comparison useless. In fact, it's called "The Megahertz Myth". The only time it makes sense is within a manufacturer's own line of similar processors. So we can't compare the clock of an i3 with the clock...
Just look for yourself. You seem to be coming here to just downgrade everyone else who is trying to be objective, without saying anything yourself that's useful. Why don't you try to show that I'm wrong instead? If you can't do that, then don't bother posting to me, or about me.
I thought the questions about Thunderbolt were settled. Intel has stated that while it was Apple that came to them about the idea, and gave them specs they wanted to see, that it was Intel that did the engineering. Intel was quite upset when some people said that Apple had done it and gave it to Intel.I don't think that Thunderbolt will see the light of day on ARM. It requires at least Express Bus 2. The new version require the newer 3. Arm devices don't have the IO...
We really need to be careful in discussing Qualcomm, Nvidia, etc. All were surprised that Apple came out with a 64 bit chip last year, but they aren't stupid, or incompetent. Apple's a generation ahead, but that doesn't mean that these companies will forever be a generation behind in performance. That's why the K1 is such an interesting chip, as it's Nvidia's first generation. Qualcomm is working on their high end 64 bit chip, though they've strangely come out with a...
I've discussed this a number of times, here, and elsewhere.I've no doubt that Apple has run OS X on ARM since the A5x. Earlier chips would have been much too limited. They likely are running at least some of their apps on it as well.But we really can't avoid the emulation problem, it's an ugly head. So small, simple apps could be run through Apple XCode, and with some little bit of work, be fine. But larger apps will have more problems. Compilers can't take care of every...
What's really interesting about Apple's new design is that it's actually more space efficient than the A7. Whereas the industry is finding that as they go down in size they have poorer packing density. Anandtech noted that Apple has increased packing density significantly this generation.Of course, there is still the frustration in not knowing what at least 30% of Apple's chips are doing. Apple has no need to go to conferences and explain all this as they don't sell their...
You know that if you increase voltage by a small amount, you increase power drain by a large amount. So heat will rapidly become an issue. That's likely why Apple increases speeds when moving a chip to the iPad by so little. I'm not confident that Apple could move this to 2GHz. Remember that there is no real heat sinking in these tablets, though I've often wished that Apple could figure out a way to utilize the aluminum case more directly as a heat sink. Of course, if they...