or Connect

Posts by melgross

Massively overpowered for things you do, maybe. But that's just you. Major games need more power and RAM than my current iPad Air 2 has. I use Photo and movie editing apps, and they too can use more memory and power. So do my CAD apps, and painting apps.I've never understood why some people think that just because they don't need something, no one needs it.
Five times is the number I see used when I read about it. Obviously it's not exact.While Apple would rewrite OS X to run on ARM, and some of Apple's apps would be rewritten as well, the reality is that almost no one else would bother, so small developers, with fairly simple apps likely would. But do you really think that Microsoft and Adobe would rewrite their massive software just to run on Apple's least powerful machines? I highly doubt that. And that's just some....
Expectations vary by industry. No one would reasonably expect Walmart to have a 21% net as Apple does, because in that industry, even with Walmart being the size they are, profits are slim, and in fact these of Walmart are around 3.5%. They also don't expect growth to be more than in the mid single digits a gear, and usually in the low single digits.So we look at Walmart's valuation, and we see that it's $233.5 billion, which is less than half of its yearly sales. Yet, it...
I never said it was real, and I don't know why you think I did.Well, few financial numbers other than ones relating directly to the business are "real". P/E is expectations. It's a psychological tale. Unfortunately, it's often treated as though it's real. As far as I'm concerned, Amazon should be valued at 10% of what it is right now. Look at what happened today. They made a tiny $95 million in profit, and look what happened to the stock. Look at what happened to Google.If...
No, I now have about 88,000 shares, which includes some bought during the recession. I would have bought more when it dipped to $400, but didn't have enough free cash to make it worthwhile.Look, no one thought that Apple would get this high. But I can be very persistent. I decided to let it sit. As I said, the initial investment wasn't that big. But it's well outgrown everything. My other investments grew well enough, but if I had invested everything in Apple back mid...
Not familiar with that one.
Understand margins. Are you talking about gross margins, operating margins, or net margins, which is actual profit? It's not likely that Apple makes a 40% net on their phones. I was an electronics manufacturer, and Apple's pricing seems right to me. Ignore the things you read from iSupply and others. What they say is nonsense. Even assuming that their parts pricing is correct, and I can pretty much guarantee it's not, selling prices for products are normally from between...
I think what he's saying is what I've been saying. It's been shown that a chip that's emulating another chip needs to be five times more powerful in order to run software at the same apparent speed. We don't need that (yet) for iOS, but would for OS X. There is a way partly around that, but whether Apple is interested or not, is another story.
It fixed my problem of the App Store not accepting my username or password. Boy, that was frustrating. Haven't had a chance to check anything else yet.
What I think isn't understood about Apple is that even though they have what I read as described as the best upper management team in the planet, they will make the occasional error. After all, they aren't robots. But they recover.And really, as a business, all they need to do is to be a little bit better than everyone else. And they certainly are that!