or Connect

Posts by melgross

Well, I could agree with you, but where would the fun be in that?But, no, it's definitely not a netbook. Screen size does not define a netbook by itself. Even if it did, it wouldn't fit the description. When Microsoft offered Windows XP Starter to netbook manufacturers for, at the time, a startling $15, they laid down the specs the machines would need to meet.No bigger than a 10" screen.An Atom CPU.No more than 2GB RAM.They spec'ed the largest storage, though I don't...
Yeah, you're both missing the point. It's long been understood that Apple takes customers away from lower priced products. If the product is pretty much the same, then Apple will take some of those sales. We've seen surveys for iPads, for example, that show that almost everywhere around the world, in order to take a sale away from an iPad, the competition needs to be $100 cheaper.The same thing is true for all of Apple's products. They compete, not only against products of...
I agree. But what I've found over the years is that people who want an Apple product are willing to pay more for what they consider an equivelant model from anyone else.What that means to me, is that with their old $999 11" model, they were really competing with those with small models prices as low as $700. But most of those Windows machines were really 13-15" machines. It's tough to tell someone to but an 11" Air instead of a 13-15" Windows machine. But now, that's just...
Why would it terrify anyone? Ten percent is a nice drop, but it's not so much that people are suddenly going to think that Airs are cheap.
Yes, the 11" model started at $999. But now, the 11" model starts at $899, and the 13", which was $1099, is now at $999. That's a big psychologal difference. And a 10% price drop across the board, including for upgrades, is big enough to draw buyers. A 13" model for $999 sounds pretty good. It's got advantages other than a bigger screen such as a 12 hour battery life, as opposed to the 9 hours for the 11" model.
That exactly correct. A problem analysts have is that they can't be behind the crowd. If they make a mistake too often, particularly on the high side, they're gone. Unless everyone else made the same mistake. Investment managers, for example, are less interested in making their clients money, than they are in losing it. If they move with the market, they are safe. If they're a bit ahead, they're heroes. But if they're a bit behind, they get fired.
Buffet has stated, many times, over the years that he doesn't want to split because he doesn't want movement in the stock from "unsophisticated" investors. Of course, his stock has seen plenty of movement, because there is no such thing as a sophisticated investor, no matter who they are. Apple's stock is appreciating, as are sales and profits.
P/E has nothing to do with revenue growth. Apple didn't beat the street in December.
Oh please, I've been successfully investing since before you were born. I pulled up what was quickest to pull up. If you want to look at a bad P/E, look to Amazon. Don't make things up. What makes a high P/E is the EXPECTATION of high profits, not high profits. If you don't know that, you don't know anything.
Really? Then we need to notice it.