or Connect

Posts by melgross

I find that between federal, state and local taxes at my bracket, that trading can be almost useless for small amounts. why bother? I'd rather hold for a year to get capital gains if I'm going to trade.I did something odd myself. I opened up a Scotttrade account when Apple was about $340. I was going to trade on that account. Apple kept going up, and so I didn't bother. Then it began to go down, and I never sell in a down market. Then it began to go up again. I never sold...
He's not saying that they will tank. And Disney was far down for several years, they come back up, and then some.But it's true that historically, companies in the DOW have seen their share prices, on average, rise more slowly than the markets on average, and their previous rise.That doesn't mean it will be true for everything, just on average.
That's an interesting statement. I've never bothered to find out if it's true.
In the '80's the laws were changed as to corporate pensions. They were changed again during the '90's, and the last bad major chNge was during the 2,000's. These changes devastated the landscape for pensions. A lot of the older pensions are defined benefit. My wife has that. She can count in a check for the rest of her life, and I get half if she goes before me. This is the best pension. As she says, thanks for unions, who fought for that. The next is defined compensation,...
That's right. Most of y stock was purchased at $16.93 mid 2004. When you take the 14:1 split since that time, and the current stock price, it's possibly one of the best investments ever made. I bought some during the recession at $80 as well.If I had any idea that this wasn't the risk I thought it might be, I would have committed much more of my portfolio to it. Sheesh! People don't always believe the worth of my investment, because it's so large these days, but I bought...
This is under the control of the GAO, which has stubbornly resisted the overture of both the right and the left over the decades. Fortunately, while we bemoan bureaucracies as being unresponsive, the area in which these are, unresponsiveness is a major virtue. They refuse to work, and release numbers that are politically biased. They are a back room organization. Both the right wingers and the left wingers hate this. They want to turn it to their own use, but have failed....
Estimates have been that you need $1 million for retirement if you expect to live off interest or dividends. But that no longer true. It was, before the recession, that you could pull a good 6%, taxable, or 5% in triple taxfree munies, for a decent number, plus Social Security. But now, if you ca get 2%, you're doing well. So you have to pull capital down each year, which is a very difficult thing to do, as we really have no idea as to how long we'll be around. People...
Nobody said anything about investing. We're just talking about indexes. When you take the largest companies, you are doing nothing else. It's just numbers. I never invest in an index in any way, just individual stocks. I never invest in mutual funds either. The average mutual fund does about the same as the market. If you're dumb enough to pay for a managed fund, then you do more poorly than the market just because of the large fees charged.If you can't figure out what...
My investment strategy over the years has changed. I used to be a big trader thought the '90's. But I've shifted. I bought several thousand shares of Apple in mid 2004, and I've held on to them, buying smaller amounts a couple of times since then, mainly during the recession. The rest of my investments are shorter term. What began as less than 15% of my investments has now become almost 70%. I did fine elsewhere, but my Apple stock has grown by an unprecedented amount. I...
I don't care about Google. The numbers they use aren't the official calculations the GAO has used for decades, and so are useless in giving us any meaningful relation to past employment numbers.We all know that actual employment is always lower than the number presented, because there are people out of work who aren't looking for jobs. The official. U very don't include them. But even so, those numbers remain the same as a percentage during similar economic situations.So...