or Connect

Posts by melgross

Me? Really? I'm not twisting anything. Third party apps are a defining feature of smartphones, like it or not. Some higher end featurephones could download a VERY limited number of apps that the manufacturer, or carrier wrote for them, but that was all. It didn't really count..Why don't you supply so e definition of what a smartphone is? No, not YOUR definition, but something better known. See if apps are a part of that. And no, I'm not talking about early 1990's phones...
Yes. That's been the sales slide for the iPhone ever since Apple went to holiday sales for the iPhone to counter declining iPod sales. But my POV is exactly that! I have no quarrel with it. But that's why we look at YOY numbers, to compare with the same quarter the year before the year before that, etc. When sales increases slow, YOY, then we see that something is happening. Quarter to quarter numbers are very interesting as well, because we can see is they're following...
A lot of what you're saying here has little to do with the price of the phone, at least at the $200 you mentioned. While it's true that Apple is working on those projects for iOS and OS X, it's not true for Android manufacturers. They don't need to spend the money to do that. Google does that for them, and that's an advantage they have, that is, the ability to hook into systems without having to pay for the R&D and other major costs.So, it's not so simple.
Just saying "wrong" doesn't make it so. And, of course, the iPhone IS a smartphone. I never said that it wasn't. But that first year, one of the major defining things of a smartphone wasn't present, and lots of people were saying that it would never happen. I'm on the record as going against the tide, here, and in other places, in saying that Apple would allow third party apps. Others were trying to parse SJ,s words as meaning that the iPhone would just be able to use HTML...
800 million.But you're making my argument for me. There's been a lot of talk about Apple having it's own payments system. Paypal has already approached Apple about being the payment provider. Other large credit card companies, and banks, are nervous.Why do you think that is? Because Apple has 50 million accounts? 100 million? No, it's because they're approaching a billion. The only company that has more now, is VISA, and Apple is growing faster.Size does matter, and so...
It isn't semantics at all. While you could run that software on those other phones, because it was possible, it wasn't possible to run third party software on the first iPhone that first year at all. I'm seeing a few people here being upset about my saying that the iPhone wasn't a smartphone that first year, but they obviously forget the arguments about that very thing right here, in the press, and the financial pages. The argument was laid to rest when the 2nd generation...
Apple is my doing what it thinks it needs to do to maintain and even increase their marketshare. The bigger screens are expected to help.
Don't be insulting. I'll pull your plug.I'm not talking about $99 phones. In case you haven't noticed, estimates for this quarter, aside from the one in the article, are still up by a fair amount. If somehow Apple manages 39 million, that will exceed the industry growth for the past couple of quarters, so someone thinks it's possible.
That has little to do with the price of phones. The entire market for smartphones is still growing, and markets where $50, or in reality, mostly $100-300 smartphones are sold will, or are moving up, as in China. It's not impossible by any means.
The only time in that time period that Apple attempted to go after marketshare was the ill timed attempt by Michael Spindler in Christmas 1995. Back then I was on the board of one of the largest Mac groups. NYMUG had over 5,400 members in the mid 90's. In the fall of 1995, Apple came to our meeting, and announced that they were going to increase marketshare from 12% to 16% with a new machine that would cost "only" $4,000, including keyboard. We were pretty impressed. That...