or Connect

Posts by melgross

No, I don't think Apple did that well. It wasn't too long ago that Apple was growing over 50% a year, and people were screaming when it was said that they couldn't keep that up. Now, growth is in single digits, and people are saying that it's just fine. Often, I notice, the same people!So worldwide iPhone marketshare is slipping from 14% to 12%. Is that a good thing? No, it's not. iPad worldwide marketshare slipping from 38% to 33%. Not good there either. There's just no...
Best, shemst. When you only grow a few points in a market that's growing in good double digits, that's disappointing.What 80% profits are you talking about? The last numbers have Apple just a bit ahead of Samsung in smartphone profits. If you're talking about gross margins, Apple isn't making 80% gross margins on their hardware. Estimates for iPhones are around 56%. But that's gross. Net, or profits, are around 25-30%.Apple's worldwide iPhone marketshare is a bit over 12%,...
Search is hard. Microsoft is the proof of that. Google also has exclusive license of technology that gives them an advantage.I don't know what you mean by the human benefit. We benefit by having a good search engine. But it has to be paid for. When Google first was formed, there were a lot of questions as to how they were going to monetize it. They only way is through advertising. It's unfortunate, but true.Oh, if you really think about it, there's so much.Look, Apple is...
That's a terrible argument. The fact is that Apple didn't really do all that well. I'm also tired of the "marketshare doesn't matter" argument. Apple knows that's false. Whenever marketshare is good, they mention it as an important point. When it isn't, they talk about quality and customer satisfaction.We all come up with out own estimates as to how much product Apple will sell. I'm not saying that Apple needs to own more than 50% of the market, but they can't keep...
I'm not sure I understand your post.1. No, Apple isn't a small company, they are a giant company. I don't see how you figure this. They are getting closer to 100,000 employees every day. Almost $200 billion isn't a small company.I owned two companies. My second one bought two smaller companies over the years. I know what happens when you acquire another company. None of the companies I mentioned would have been difficult for Apple to have integrated. Google could have been...
Has anyone even given thought to the concept that without significant advances in some technologies, there will be no major product breakthroughs?Google Glass is getting a lot of press for nothing much. No talk of processing power, memory, storage, battery life. It's been mentioned, but no real discussion.These watches are pitiful in every way. Poor battery life or really dreadful performance, or some combo of the two. None do very much. Samsung willing be coming out with...
Other than demanding mythical new product lines, what would you suggest? I've given my suggestions.
I don't think we need too much "new stuff" though. Apple's stock plummeted, not because there was no new stuff, but because the stuff they have didn't sell as well as we ALL were expecting it would. That's the key; growth to at least equal that of the industry, not significantly below it.
Change does take some time. Apple has some time, but not too much time. We can see its product sales are up, except for the expected drop in iPod sales. But they aren't up by much. For example, I fully expected to see iPhone sales of upwards of 55 million. But it really needed to be upward of 60 million to keep pace. It wasn't.I expected to see iPad sales above 30 million, actually around 32 million. But they were up to 29 million. Not enough.Mac sales were up, but still...
As you know, CFO's don't run companies. They certainly shouldn't be. My CFO would never have presumed to make decisions of thet nature. Running the company is the job of the CEO.